What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-12562457-1537660951-4324.jpeg.jpg

First time through left me feeling that the band was a bit at odds with the music in terms of purpose, but I'm going to play some more to see if it's just me, and not them.

Either way, it's a bit jarring to hear all these passages of repeated harmonic movements that sound like mid-60s "advanced" pop songs just waiting to happen

24 minutes ago, JSngry said:

R-12562457-1537660951-4324.jpeg.jpg

First time through left me feeling that the band was a bit at odds with the music in terms of purpose, but I'm going to play some more to see if it's just me, and not them.

Either way, it's a bit jarring to hear all these passages of repeated harmonic movements that sound like mid-60s "advanced" pop songs just waiting to happen

You`re talking about the Schumann String Quartets, right .... ?

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I am. They are just passages, but they are definitely in there, and for somebody who was immersed in that kind pop music long before even taking a dip into jazz or classical music, they are obvious.

Could be an aberration from this thread "Does the First Version You Hear Become the "Best" Version" :D ....

42 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Could be an aberration from this thread "Does the First Version You Hear Become the "Best" Version" :D ....

Could be! :g

But seriously, there are plenty of, for lack of a better term, "proto-riffs" in these Schumann quartets, and the NMSQ seems to call that quality out in them, which is what I meant about first impressions that the band and the music were perhaps at odds.

But hell, maybe that's just how I'm hearing it. Or maybe that's how they're playing it and that's how I'm hearing it and what I am hearing does not mean what they're meaning by playing it that way. I shouldn't think that they should be thinking that way, not in that world at that time, and definitely not when Schumann composed it.

OTOH, I'm getting the distinct impression working through this set that this was not at all a timid or "refined" band, they sure seem to be all in all the time. I've not get gotten to their Mozart, but have heard bits and pieces of it on Pandora, and it sounds like if anybody or anything is going to get Mozart to really speak to me in anything other than a historical dialect, it's gonna be these guys. So maybe hearing "riffs" in Schumann is one of those unintended yet inescapable things that happens when you listen to music out of order.