What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Ā 

I'm also listening to Brendel's recording of Schubert's "Moments musicaux," as heard on this LP:

R-5199666-1543409138-1491.jpeg.jpg

Thanks for prompting me to pull this wonderful record off my shelf! šŸ™‚

:tup, Alfred Brendel.

I like Brendel's Schubert as far asĀ i'veĀ heard. I believe he recorded some of Schubert's work two times.

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Referentzhunter said:

:tup, Alfred Brendel.

I like Brendel's Schubert as far asĀ i'veĀ heard. I believe he recorded some of Schubert's work two times.

Yep. I think Brendel is an outstanding Schubertian, and he did record Schubert multiple times.

My LP is from Brendel's first set of Schubert recordings for Philips (recorded in analog).Ā  The Schubert set that Peter Friedman posted isĀ Brendel's second for Philips (recorded digitally).

Ā 

Ā 

I'm now listening to Rudolf Serkin's wonderful BeethovenĀ set:

710KLgPyj6L._SS500_.jpg

Disc 6
- Sonata No. 21 in C Major, Op. 53 "Waldstein"
- Sonata No. 23 in F Minor, Op. 57 "Appassionata"
- Sonata No. 24 in F-Sharp Major, Op. 78
- Sonata No. 26 in E-Flat Major, Op. 81a "Les adieux"

Ā 

Edited by HutchFan

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Ā 

I'm now listening to Rudolf Serkin's wonderful BeethovenĀ set:

710KLgPyj6L._SS500_.jpg

Disc 6
- Sonata No. 21 in C Major, Op. 53 "Waldstein"
- Sonata No. 23 in F Minor, Op. 57 "Appassionata"
- Sonata No. 24 in F-Sharp Major, Op. 78
- Sonata No. 26 in E-Flat Major, Op. 81a "Les adieux"

Ā 

Just recently picked up this set on recommendation; would not otherwise have considered it due to incomplete Sonatas.

I agree that it's wonderful!

12 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Earlier .... :

MI0000996670.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Yowzah, Festetics on Harmonia Mundi's super-budget label! Will have to check Stateside availability...

On 8/23/2019 at 2:11 AM, Referentzhunter said:

Recommendations ?

Warning: Scelsi's music is definitely weird, and someĀ people consider it crap. I've even seen him calledĀ a fraud of sorts - he used to tape himself playing on some kind of keyboard (I forget details) and have a trained composer transcribe it; there was an article by the latter entitled something like "I wrote Giacinto Scelsi's music"Ā  (again forget details).

My favorite and best recommendation is this reissue of 3 discs originally on Accord:

R-2732590-1390239326-3293.jpeg.jpg

If you can find samples, play them really loud and see if you dig 'em...[Added: Here's a good sample:

]

The Kairos discs above are pretty good IMO. I find Scelsi mostly about timbre and microtones. Some instruments / ensembles work better than others. I didn't care for his solo piano work and sold the CDs I had. Currently own only five all-Scelsi discs (the ones mentioned) - sold a number and can't find Canti del CapricornoĀ so must have sold that too. Not planning to buy more. Periodically consider getting complete string quartets andĀ decide against it, which may have been an error as a reasonably-priced Stradivarius reissue (with Arditti SQ) went oop.

Edited by T.D.

17 hours ago, T.D. said:

Warning: Scelsi's music is definitely weird, and someĀ people consider it crap. I've even seen him calledĀ a fraud of sorts - he used to tape himself playing on some kind of keyboard (I forget details) and have a trained composer transcribe it; there was an article by the latter entitled something like "I wrote Giacinto Scelsi's music"Ā  (again forget details).

My favorite and best recommendation is this reissue of 3 discs originally on Accord:

R-2732590-1390239326-3293.jpeg.jpg

If you can find samples, play them really loud and see if you dig 'em...[Added: Here's a good sample:

]

Damn...I added the sample and destroyed stuff I previously posted. Oh well.

The Kairos discs above are pretty good IMO. I find Scelsi mostly about timbre and microtones. Some instruments / ensembles work better than others. I didn't care for his solo piano work and sold the CDs I had. Currently own only five all-Scelsi discs (the ones mentioned) - sold a number and can't find Canti del CapricornoĀ so must have sold that too. Not planning to buy more. Periodically consider getting complete string quartets andĀ decide against it, which may have been an error as a reasonably-priced Stradivarius reissue (with Arditti SQ) went oop.

Thank you. I think i ago for the Wyttenbach set and and maybe some others.Ā ;)