What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another top-notch Berg Chamber Concerto recording, maybe the best I know, is Libor Pesek's  rec. 1965 (Quintessence LP, origjnally on Supraphon) with Zdenek Kozina piano and Ivan Straus violin, coupled with an excellent recording of the Berg Violin Concerto, with Josef Suk and Ancerl, also from 1965. Kozina really nails the piano part. Above all, everyone on the  Pesek Chamber Concerto recording plays out -- on the Boulez Columbia recording with Barenboim, for example,  the players in the ensemble sound like they're afraid to make a mistake. I would say that a certain Central European juiciness is what's called for, as though the work were Mozart's Gran Partita k. 361.

14 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Another top-notch Berg Chamber Concerto recording, maybe the best I know, is Libor Pesek's  rec. 1965 (Quintessence LP, origjnally on Supraphon) with Zdenek Kozina piano and Ivan Straus violin, coupled with an excellent recording of the Berg Violin Concerto, with Josef Suk and Ancerl, also from 1965. Kozina really nails the piano part. Above all, everyone on the  Pesek Chamber Concerto recording plays out -- on the Boulez Columbia recording with Barenboim, for example,  the players in the ensemble sound like they're afraid to make a mistake. I would say that a certain Central European juiciness is what's called for, as though the work were Mozart's Gran Partita k. 361.

Highly enjoyable because of the natural movement indeed.

Mozart K. 617 Adagio and Rondo for glass harmonica, flute, oboe, viola, and cello, played here by Ensemble Baroque de Paris on celeste (Robert Veyron-Lacroix), flute (Maxence Larrieu) , oboe (Pierre Pierlot), violin (Robert Gendre), and bassoon (Paul Honge). Lovely performance of a relatively brief  (9:47 in this recording) hauntingly beautiful work. It's in Mozart's Masonic music vein.

Rec. 1975, Denon, o.o.p.

Rest of this CD  -- J.C. Bach, Quantz, Haydn, etc. is excellent too. These were superb players, and they picked very good pieces to play,

BTW the use of the celeste rather than the glass harmonica is all for the best IMO; the sound of the latter instrument can make your fillings ache.