What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, T.D. said:

I think that to get deeply into Cage you have to share his aesthetic philosophy of randomness to some degree. And that's far from a common preference.

Exactly. And sometimes I don't mind dealing with it like that. But sometimes I do.

As a musical philosopher/conceptualist, I am totally into him. But there's more to music than just philosophy and concept. If all you had to to was think (or not think...)...That's an excellent destination point, but a horrible starting point.

imo, of course.

On 1/27/2020 at 11:07 AM, JSngry said:

I did.

What I haven't been able to find is a lot of information about Jeanne Kirstein (past the liner notes) and/or whatever happened to her.

I remember reading somewhere (still trying to find it) that she passed away from cancer c.1979. Her husband was the cellist Jack Kirstein of LaSalle Quartet fame.

You've probably found this article from 1974, if not

https://www.newspapers.com/image/?clipping_id=11090384&fcfToken=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJmcmVlLXZpZXctaWQiOjEwNDUwNzc5NiwiaWF0IjoxNTgwMTg4NTMzLCJleHAiOjE1ODAyNzQ5MzN9.K9pcKOxROUNgVZ3sAsc61_jQkP4PRnitsyGuHrdG-aA

Speaking of LaSalle, now playing CD4 from this (Berg - Lyric Suite & String Qt, op.3)

R-1844075-1295464215.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Marzz

14 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Yes,  the symphony issued it first - I think it had a blue cover. Our version was less compressed than theirs. We filtered out some low frequencies when the noise appeared.

Interesting! Would you care to share how a recording on a Swedish (budget?) label came to be released in the US? 

16 hours ago, T.D. said:

That's a tough one. Most "accessible" recommendations would be the S & I for PP by Ajemian and various "early" percussion works.

I think that to get deeply into Cage you have to share his aesthetic philosophy of randomness to some degree. And that's far from a common preference.

I had recordings of some "classic" instrumental performances like Grete Sultan's Music of Changes (Wergo) and Irvine Arditti's Freeman Etudes (Newport Classics) but didn't care for them.

I can get into Roaratorio if in the right mood. I generally enjoy the late "Number Pieces", but frankly haven't found it necessary to acquire many recordings thereof. Don't know if you'd care for them; maybe you could try some samples/clips.

These are some "number piece" recordings I like:

R-1082021-1190692918.jpeg.jpg R-1004967-1183093388.jpeg.jpg

The latter is really great (oop but maybe you can buy it direct from Goldstein), and if you don't like the Cage you at least have an excellent Feldman recording.

This is an intriguing new number piece recording I intend to buy but haven't yet heard (waiting for USA release):

Two2.jpg

Two^2 is different from most other number pieces (which involve time intervals and stopwatches), and allows more performer discretion re. tempi.

i will see how tough he is... :P i think i understand what you mean by that. Thank you for the other suggestions... maybe i will have a listen in time.

Slouch-cover-2-200x176.jpg Revised-Jacket-Back-Slouch-Title-changed

Can't say any of this 2016 release is essential Cage (whatever that is)...bought it because of the excellent NEXUS Percussion Ensemble, who worked closely with Cage. I've seen NEXUS live several times, and they're led by Garry Kvistad of Woodstock, NY (I live less than an hour away).

Edited by T.D.

On 1/27/2020 at 11:40 AM, JSngry said:

These are absolutely essential, imo.

MI0002311973.jpg

R-325878-1382879120-8659.jpeg.jpg

My favorite recording of the Sonatas and Interludes:

https://faculty.sites.wfu.edu/louis-goldstein/recordings/sonatas-and-interludes-and-dream-by-john-cage

Goldstein has also made some superb recordings of Feldman's music.

More on Goldstein:

https://faculty.sites.wfu.edu/louis-goldstein/bios