What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, soulpope said:

Very interesting view on the late Beethoven Sonatas ....

Yes, I agree.  Pollini's interpretation is analytical, cool, Apollonian.  He's certainly a child of A.B. Michelangeli, figuratively-speaking.  

It also seems like Pollini's technique is so formidable that he can negotiate this music without straining. I think that (almost) effortlessness is part of the equation too.

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Yes, I agree.  Pollini's interpretation is analytical, cool, Apollonian.  He's certainly a child of A.B. Michelangeli, figuratively-speaking.  

It also seems like Pollini's technique is so formidable that he can negotiate this music without straining. I think that (almost) effortlessness is part of the equation too.

Pollini blows my mind in Beethoven...I think his structural grasp is a huge benefit in these later sonatas in particular, where the musical forms are so radical. Take e.g. the slow movement of the Hammerklavier - he has no trouble making those 17+ minutes hold together. Also - the 'cool' thing - I do understand this, but I don't necessarily always sign up to the characterisation. The way he treats the repeated G major chord in op.110 before the inversion of the fugue just at the end of the piece is mesmerising and almost shocking to me in his hands; or for another example, the intensity of the last movement of his op.57. Anyway - for sure just a personal thing!

I can't wait to hear his just-released new recordings of 109, 110, and 111.

1 hour ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

Also - the 'cool' thing - I do understand this, but I don't necessarily always sign up to the characterisation. The way he treats the repeated G major chord in op.110 before the inversion of the fugue just at the end of the piece is mesmerising and almost shocking to me in his hands; or for another example, the intensity of the last movement of his op.57. Anyway - for sure just a personal thing!

I've only heard the late sonatas, so I can't speak to the rest of his cycle. But I find the Pollini readings that I do know to be very powerful.  I can hear "cool", but I definitely don't hear "cold".

Also, I didn't know that Pollini had re-recorded the last three. Would love to hear your impressions.

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I've only heard the late sonatas, so I can't speak to the rest of his cycle. But I find the Pollini readings that I do know to be very powerful.  I can hear "cool", but I definitely don't hear "cold".

Also, I didn't know that Pollini had re-recorded the last three. Would love to hear your impressions.

Cool/cold - that's a really interesting point - yes, agree! BTW - I mentioned his Appassionata...I love the DG recording of course, but there are some incredible live ones. This one in particular I think is pretty astonishing: 

I saw him play this sonata in London a few years back, and it was frankly one of the most transcendent live music experiences I've ever had!

1 hour ago, Referentzhunter said:

:shrug[1]: In need for a Mahler cycle. What set has more value ?

Also considering first Haitink cycle ( the only complete cycle i litened to on lp, sold it, did not liked it that much, but ain't completely sure) or Kubelik.

ghghg.jpg

R-1255113-1204929464.jpeg.jpg

I suspect there is not a completely satisfying Mahler cycle for me.