What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

I suspect there is not a completely satisfying Mahler cycle for me.

That's been my experience too.  I do think some Mahler conductors are more consistent than others from performance-to-performance.  But none of them (that I've heard) "hits it out of the park" in every single performance in a cycle, from the First through the Ninth.

But that's part of the fun, isn't it?  Finding the right combinations of repertoire and artists, and seeing if the magic happens.  (And not just for Mahler.)

All that said, if I could only listen to one Mahler cycle for the rest of my life, it would be Kubelik's.  I think he's the most consistent from the beginning to the end.  (I'm speaking of Kubelik's DG studio cycle. I've only heard a couple of his live recordings on Audite.)

Edited by HutchFan

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

That's been my experience too.  I do think some Mahler conductors are more consistent than others from performance-to-performance.  But none of them (that I've heard) "hits it out of the park" in every single performance in a cycle, from the First through the Ninth.

But that's part of the fun, isn't it?  Finding the right combinations of repertoire and artists, and seeing if the magic happens.  (And not just for Mahler.)

All that said, if I could only listen to one Mahler cycle for the rest of my life, it would be Kubelik's.  I think he's the most consistent from the beginning to the end.  (I'm speaking of Kubelik's DG studio cycle. I've only heard a couple of his live recordings on Audite.)

I was reaching towards Kubelik to. Heard only the first but it is more natural than others. When listening to Abbado i was strugged by the realisation that i was listening to 'Abbado' and i wanted to hear a consistingly flowing musicl experience instead and more Mahler. I had the feeling to be getting stucked several times in a short time while listening (could be a personal thing but who says ?) . I have absolutely no problems searching the right combination of reprtoire and artists but what i dislike is that instead of buying one budgetbox (20-35 euro) i have to pay now for each peformance seperatly (sometimes up to 20 euro or more, actual example) . If you have a big bag of money that would be no problem but for me it is . But i have time i guess......

8 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

I was reaching towards Kubelik to. Heard only the first but it is more natural than others. When listening to Abbado i was strugged by the realisation that i was listening to 'Abbado' and i wanted to hear a consistingly flowing musicl experience instead and more Mahler. I had the feeling to be getting stucked several times in a short time while listening (could be a personal thing but who says ?) . I have absolutely no problems searching the right combination of reprtoire and artists but what i dislike is that instead of buying one budgetbox (20-35 euro) i have to pay now for each peformance seperatly (sometimes up to 20 euro or more, actual example) . If you have a big bag of money that would be no problem but for me it is . But i have time i guess......

I hear you on that point. ;)  Managing the "music budget" is always a consideration!