What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone have a recording of Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time they particularly favor? I have the common No. 1 choice, Tashi (in its remastered form) but I don't particularly like it, in part because Richard Stoltzman's clarinet playing gives me the creeps -- also, even re-mastered, the recording lacks clarity at times. I much prefer the other QFEOT I have, the New York Philomusica Chamber Ensemble from 1972, the first American recording of  the work. Originally on Candide, I have it on a 2-CD Vox Box, ""Music for Winds."

21JyuzhEowL._AC_SL260_.jpg

Many good things on this 14-CD set of broadcasts -- most often well-recorded but sadly Giulini's concert  performance of "Falstaff" is not. Listened last night to Theo Bruins' superb performance of the Schoenberg Piano Concerto (by far the best I know -- Bruins, a worthy composer himself, really feels the work; it's very well conducted by one Gustav Konig). Among the other conductors present are Monteux (Beethoven, Brahms, Wagner, Ravel), Rosbaud (Schubert, Berg, Dallapiccola), Boulez (Debussy, Bartok, Stravinsky, Nono), and Maderna (Schubert, Mendelssohn, Varese, Berg, Webern, Lutoslawski).

51Ymz47Z72L._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

5 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Anyone have a recording of Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time they particularly favor? I have the common No. 1 choice, Tashi (in its remastered form) but I don't particularly like it, in part because Richard Stoltzman's clarinet playing gives me the creeps -- also, even re-mastered, the recording lacks clarity at times. I much prefer the other QFEOT I have, the New York Philomusica Chamber Ensemble from 1972, the first American recording of  the work. Originally on Candide, I have it on a 2-CD Vox Box, ""Music for Winds."

I haven't heard it in a long time but I remember quite liking this 1963 Erato recording by violinist Huguette Fernandez, clarinetist Guy Deplus, cellist Jacques Neilz, and pianist Marie-Madeleine Petit. I have an American LP. https://www.discogs.com/Olivier-Messiaen-Quatuor-Pour-La-Fin-Du-Temps/release/5261493. The label is confusing to me but it says Music Guild/ABC Records. In any case, it was apparently made under the supervision of Messiaen -- no guarantee of quality, of course, but  worth noting. I assume (but can't guarantee) this is the same recording on CD. https://www.discogs.com/Messiaen-Quatuor-Pour-La-Fin-Du-Temps-Cinq-Rechants/release/4018842

Related. A young Leila Josefowicz recorded the finale with John Novacek on a recital disc in the late '90s -- it's pretty great, but to my knowledge she's never been a part of a recording of the entire piece. However, a few years ago I saw a tremendous performance in metro Detroit of the full work under the umbrella of the Great Lakes Chamber Music Festival that included Josefowicz, Novacek, clarinetist David Shifrin, and cellist Paul Watkins (the artistic director of the festival). I've seen maybe seven live performances of the piece over the years and this was the most gripping by far. 

Edited by Mark Stryker

4 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

4 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I originally had and enjoyed the Music Guild version of the Erato lp. I now settled for this one.

51qoOChSU6L.jpg

11 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I've stuck with this old one,

81mgH5ARpTL._SX425_.jpg

but I'm a big fan of de Leeuw, Bijlsma and Beths and don't listen to Messiaen recordings all that often. I've heard the Quatuor live several times, though. Really should purchase the EMI recording with Loriod, but haven't gotten around to it...

Edited by T.D.