What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

As you might suspect, I have the big RCA box and the "Warner Classics" set.

:tup:tup:tup 

I wish I'd ordered the RCA set when it was available! ... Over the last few weeks, I've ordered the Munch Conducts Berlioz and Munch Conducts Romantic Masterworks budget sets as substitutes. I already had many of these recordings (particularly the Berlioz), but I decided to order the sets anyway and then give the duplicates to a friend of mine.

I wish Sony/RCA would do a comparable Munch conduct French Masterworks budget set that would scoop up his RCA Debussy, Ravel, Saint-Saëns, Franck, Honegger, Roussel, etc.  Again, I have many of these already -- notably Munch's Ravel on a couple SACDs, which I will NEVER give away -- but it would be convenient to have all of it in a box.

... Per your recommendation, I still have my eye on the Munch Warner set. ;) 

By the way, Chuck, have you (or others) read Kern Holoman's biography of Munch?

31-ukeIv0OL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Seems like it might be interesting.  

Holoman's biography of Berlioz was very good indeed.  But I've not read his Munch book.

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

:tup:tup:tup 

I wish I'd ordered the RCA set when it was available! ... Over the last few weeks, I've ordered the Munch Conducts Berlioz and Munch Conducts Romantic Masterworks budget sets as substitutes. I already had many of these recordings (particularly the Berlioz), but I decided to order the sets anyway and then give the duplicates to a friend of mine.

I wish Sony/RCA would do a comparable Munch conduct French Masterworks budget set that would scoop up his RCA Debussy, Ravel, Saint-Saëns, Franck, Honegger, Roussel, etc.  Again, I have many of these already -- notably Munch's Ravel on a couple SACDs, which I will NEVER give away -- but it would be convenient to have all of it in a box.

... Per your recommendation, I still have my eye on the Munch Warner set. ;) 

By the way, Chuck, have you (or others) read Kern Holoman's biography of Munch?

31-ukeIv0OL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Seems like it might be interesting.  

Holoman's biography of Berlioz was very good indeed.  But I've not read his Munch book.

No, for the book. I got the big box when issued for a bit over $2 a disc. Have a bunch of singles to dispose of.