What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Boughton: Bethlehem

Utterly bonkers but thoroughly enjoyable nativity opera from one of the grand English eccentrics. Standard early-20thC English opera with sudden interjections of familiar carols and occasional outbursts from West Country 'rude mechanic' types. 

I love this description of the 1925 performance from the liner notes:

"The rising tide of his career came to a sudden halt, however, in December 1926 when, horrified by the injustices of the miners' lock-out and subsequent General Strike, he decided to change the nature of a production of Bethlehem that had been scheduled for Church House, Westminster, and present instead a blunt declaration of political faith. Abandoning the customary medieval setting, he showed a Christ born in a miner's cottage, and a Herod that was the very embodiment of top-hatted capitalism. The scandal was immense and the production lost money. Unfortunately he had not consulted his fellow directors: recriminations followed and it was decided to wind up the activities of the Glastonbury Festival Players."

Edited by A Lark Ascending

On 12/20/2016 at 0:59 AM, A Lark Ascending said:

Get this:

Image result for delius barbirolli

Don't think it's currently in print but it's probably available s/h. 

Mostly Delius miniatures (which to my mind are where you find the best Delius) but also has the sprawling 'Appalachia' which is part Dvorak, part 'Porgy and Bess'. Most is on the big EMI Delius box but that is probably for Delius obsessives only.

This sounds good.  I'll look for it.

Now playing, CD 23:
Robert Schumann 
– Marches (4) for Piano Op.76/2 in G minor
– Concert Etudes (6) for Piano after Paganini Caprices Set 2 Op.10/4 in C minor
– Concert Etudes (6) for Piano after Paganini Caprices Set 2 Op.10/5 in B minor
– Concert Etudes (6) for Piano after Paganini Caprices Set 2 Op.10/6 in E minor
– Novelletten (8) for Piano Op.21/1 in F major
– Blumenstück for Piano in D flat major Op.19
– Nachtstücke (4) for Piano Op.23
Sviatoslav Richter (Philips / Decca)

59137.jpg

Copenhagen, July 1986.

Now playing, CD 39:
Igor Stravinsky – Suite italienne for Cello and Piano from "Pucinell" (arr: Stravinsky & Piatigorsky)
Sergei Prokofiev – Sonata for Cello and Piano in C major Op.119
Dmitri Shostakovich – Sonata for Cello and Piano in D minor Op.40
Sergei Prokofiev – Tale of the Stone Flower Op.118: Act 2 - Waltz (arr: Piatigorsky & Kiushevitsky)
Martha Argerich (piano), Mischa Maisky (cello) (Deutsche Grammophon)

91VkyIxAfjL._SX522_.jpg  Scan%2B39.jpg

Edited by alankin

Now playing, CD 14:
Robert Schumann – Concerto for Piano in A minor Op.54 — London Philharmonic Orchestra – Landon Ronald
César Franck – Symphonic Variations for Piano and Orchestra M 46 — London Philharmonic Orchestra – Landon Ronald
Camille Saint-Saëns – Concerto for Piano No.4 in C minor Op.44 – Orchestra – Charles Munch 

Alfred Cortot (piano) (EMI Classics)

519zn6tnZML.jpg

Image result for warner classics nikolaus harnoncourt / cmw: tafelmusik cdImage result for bach cantatas, vol. 12: tooting/winchester - cd

Disc 3 of the Telemann; 53 of the Bach - mainly 4th Sunday of Advent cantatas including 147 with the famous tune.

R-1089820-1274441602.jpeg.jpg

Off Spotify. Someone I've read about (and seen mentioned here) but I got curious after an enthusiastic recommendation by someone I was chatting to in a concert. Turned up in a book I was reading yesterday so gave it a crack. Really liked the last piece in particular which does a wonderful job of drifting to some distant plain at the end.

R-7515375-1443082122-1602.jpeg.jpg

Always like a trip through the Sibelius symphonies in the dark time of the year. No. 1. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Now playing, CD 35:
Samuel Barber – Capricorn Concerto for Flute Oboe Trumpet and Strings Op.21 — Robert Sprenkle (oboe), Sidney Mear (trumpet), Joseph Mariano (flute)
Walter Piston – The Incredible Flutist (Ballet Suite) — Joseph Mariano (flute)
Charles Tomlinson Griffes – Poem for Flute and Orchestra — Joseph Mariano (flute)
Kent Kennan – 3 Pieces for Orchestra
William McCauley – 5 Miniatures for Flute and Strings — Joseph Mariano (flute)
William Bergsma – Gold & The Señor Commandante (Ballet Suite)
— Eastman-Rochester Symphony Orchestra – Howard Hanson (Mercury Living Presence)

51GbHQZJFuL._SX425_.jpg   32.jpg