What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, mikeweil said:

That's one of the most beautifully played and conceived cello CDs ever!!! Definitely out of print. Not one used copy to be found anywhere. (I'm glad I have one, and bought a second one for a cello playing friend.)

Yeah, that's a killer ... beautiful recording.

NP: Hector Berlioz, Les nuits d'ete

Susan Graham; Orchestra of the Royal Opera House

71crfE8kVeL._SX425_.jpg

Enjoy this well enough, although I wouldn't mind finding a recording where the voice and orchestra are a little more well balanced. As in, if you're going to do this with orchestra, let's hear it! ... Or perhaps simply piano accompaniment.

George Onslow, String Quartets

Quatour Ruggieri

71tsWWY8G6L._SX425_.jpg

Specifically, three of his early quartets. I really enjoy these and would like to hear more Onslow. He apparently composed for quartet (and I'd guess quintet) so that the first violinist would be a featured soloist above the others, more so than was typical of the period at least. Almost like mini-concertos. Other than that, I'm unfamiliar with his broader output (which was ample, 30-odd quartets and a similar number of quintets).  

Bruckner, Symphony No. 9

Barenboim, Staatskapelle Berlin

713iCwmPuHL._SX425_.jpg

Recorded live in Berlin, 2010. Don't know if they recorded the recent cycle at Carnegie; be a treat if they did. I only saw a couple of reviews of that cycle in the NYT -- one of the opening concert, I believe, that was quite enthusiastic, and another that surveyed several (but not all) of the performances in a somewhat scattershot manner. Kind of along the lines of, 'well, he's an acquired taste.' ... Anyways, I'm just diving into this set now, beginning at with the last. 

Franz Joseph Haydn 
– Symphony No.39 in G minor Hob.I/39
– Symphony No.29 in E major Hob.I/29
– Symphony No.28 in A major Hob.I/28
— Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra – Dennis Russell Davies (Sony Classical)
— The first Symphonies written for Prince Esterhazy - 7

61BRhG98%2B6L._SY300_.jpg

Now playing, CD 7:
Ludwig van Beethoven – Concerto for Piano No.5 in E flat major Op.73 "Emperor" — Jos van Immerseel (fortepiano)
– Concerto for Violin in D major Op.61 — Vera Beths (violin) 
– Tafelmusik on period instruments, Jeanne Lamon music directorBruno Weil (Vivarte / Sony Classical)

61vNATtQvcL.jpg  81uNfrhpJ6L._SX350_.jpg

8134a0dc2d.jpg

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 30-32, Maurizio Pollini on Deutsche Grammophon (UCCG-51085).
This is last year's SHM-CD with HR Cutting from the DSD mastering from 10/2011 by Emil Berliner Studios used previously for the SHM-SACD.

Happily, this is considerably more pleasant on the ears than the 1987 double CD.

18 hours ago, erwbol said:

8134a0dc2d.jpg

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 30-32, Maurizio Pollini on Deutsche Grammophon (UCCG-51085).
This is last year's SHM-CD with HR Cutting from the DSD mastering from 10/2011 by Emil Berliner Studios used previously for the SHM-SACD.

Happily, this is considerably more pleasant on the ears than the 1987 double CD.

And the performance is not too shabby either :D ....