What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now playing:
Ernest Chausson – Poème for Violin and Orchestra in E flat major Op.25 — David Oistrakh (violin) [stereo]
Camille Saint-Saëns – Introduction and Rondo capriccioso for Violin and Orchestra in A minor Op.28 — David Oistrakh (violin)  [stereo]
Hector Berlioz – Roméo et Juliette Op.17 (excerpts: "Great Festivities at the Capulet's palace", "Serene night,...", "Love scene") [mono]
— Boston Symphony Orchestra – Charles Munch (RCA Victor Red Seal Records / Sony Classics)

R-6962241-1430496566-3311.jpeg.jpg  81LcY%2ByFxYL._SX300_.jpg

Now playing:
Giya Kancheli 
— Caris Mere for soprano and viola
— Midday Prayers for solo clarinet, soprano and 19 players 
— Night Prayers for soprano saxophone and string orchestra
Maacha Deubner (soprano), Eduard Brunner (clarinet), Vasiko Tevdorashvii (voice), Jan Garbarek (soprano saxophone) 
Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra – Dennis Russell Davies (ECM Records New Series)

41U3jgrXCTL._SX450_.jpg

That Charpentier disc looks interesting ... the sheer amount of CDs I still haven't heard almost drives me crazy.

Now playine some Wilhelm Friedemann Bach keyboard music:

Guy Penson on Ricercar (no image on the web)

Maude Gratton on Mirare

51rJAPUZ-0L.jpg

Both include a misattributed piece - Penson a set of Variations by Hiller from an obscure 19th century anthology, Gratton the c minor keyboard fantasy that many fell for although it is known since the 1970's that it was composed by Wilhelm Hässler. Playing-wise, both are among the best, but one should ignore the booklet notes of the Gratton disc which reproduce old clichés about the composer's life and personality long corrected by recent research.

p.s. turns out I have the Charpentier disc ..... I've been buying too much over the years, it seems.

Bruckner Symphony No. 7

Barenboim, Staatskapelle Berlin

713iCwmPuHL._SX425_.jpg

Beautifully rendered here (recorded live in Berlin in 2010) ... The orchestra really breathes life into this one, or allows the music to breathe and undulate in a Wagnerian sort of way, with great grace and elegance. Really nice.

9 hours ago, papsrus said:

Bruckner Symphony No. 7

Barenboim, Staatskapelle Berlin

713iCwmPuHL._SX425_.jpg

Beautifully rendered here (recorded live in Berlin in 2010) ... The orchestra really breathes life into this one, or allows the music to breathe and undulate in a Wagnerian sort of way, with great grace and elegance. Really nice.

Undoubtedly there are Wagner influences to be heard in Bruckner 7 which (IMO) are shining trough even stronger in Celibidache`s performance ....

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

Undoubtedly there are Wagner influences to be heard in Bruckner 7 which (IMO) are shining trough even stronger in Celibidache`s performance ....

Yes, Celibidache's Bruckner is quite dramatic. I love it. This Barenboim, though, seems to me to be quite sensitive, performed as it is by an orchestra steeped in both Wagner and an operatic tradition. The quiet parts are delicate, the louder parts are strident, etc. I'll revisit Celi to try to flesh that out. I really enjoyed this one though. 

George Onslow, Quartets Opus 8 Nos. 1 & 3; Opus 10 No. 3

Quatuor Ruggieri

81WYJZlI33L._SX425_.jpg

Quatuor Ruggieri perform these pieces on period instruments -- the period being late classical / early romantic. Onslow was a French fellow who composed chamber music in a French style that features the first violinist as soloist. So plenty of joie de vivre! The music itself is influenced by Vienna and Beethoven (hence Onslow's moniker, the "French Beethoven"). Really interesting music I'm just getting to know. 

Edited by papsrus

George Onslow, complete chamber music for wind instruments

Ensemble Initium, Ensemble Contraste

81-wLBP9E4L._SX425_.jpg

Boy, for me these wind pieces are not nearly as satisfying as his string quartets. An almost Looney Tunes/vaudvillian quality to some of this. Nothing really jumps out. It's me, I'm sure, but I didn't even make it all the way through the first disc of this 2-disc set.

Fortunately, I'd also ordered another disc of Onslow's late string quartets, which arrived today, Op. 54, 55, 56, performed by Quatuor Diotima. These are excellent -- passionate, filled with virtuosity and flair. The music ebbs and flows and soars and pauses for quiet (if brief) reflection. Good stuff.

51rEURY31pL._SX425_.jpg

Edited by papsrus