What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

Stone genius...have you heard the winning recital from the Chopin competition from 1960? His playing is different then, but still astonishing...

Yes know the 1960 recital as well .... have a soft spot for his 70`s view on the Chopin Preludes though, reinforced via a tremendous live performance in Vienna around that time (I was lucky enough to witness) ....

22 hours ago, soulpope said:

Yes know the 1960 recital as well .... have a soft spot for his 70`s view on the Chopin Preludes though, reinforced via a tremendous live performance in Vienna around that time (I was lucky enough to witness) ....

Are you also a fan of Pollini's DG recording of Chopin's Etudes? I am considering buying the SHM-CD with DSD remastering.

2 hours ago, erwbol said:

Are you also a fan of Pollini's DG recording of Chopin's Etudes? I am considering buying the SHM-CD with DSD remastering.

Believe that beneath Moravec and Arrau this is a very hearworthy Chopin Etudes interpretation - and the sound of this SHM-CD release is excellent ;-) ....

Edited by soulpope

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

00028947969150-cover-zoom.jpg

Which edition are you listening to? The first double CD is unlistenable for me. The SHM-CD with 2011 DSD mastering of the last three sonatas is a vast improvement, though still not up to modern standards. Unfortunately, sonatas no. 28 & 29 have yet to be released in this new DSD mastering in Japan. 

2 hours ago, erwbol said:

Which edition are you listening to? The first double CD is unlistenable for me. The SHM-CD with 2011 DSD mastering of the last three sonatas is a vast improvement, though still not up to modern standards. Unfortunately, sonatas no. 28 & 29 have yet to be released in this new DSD mastering in Japan. 

Do have

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCCG-51085

which really carries excellent sound (to my ears) ....

On 6/21/2017 at 9:06 AM, soulpope said:

Wow - would have loved to have heard that! Do you recall what else was in the programme, out of curiosity?

The Beethoven is also a favourite...

1 hour ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

Wow - would have loved to have heard that! Do you recall what else was in the programme, out of curiosity?

The Beethoven is also a favourite...

It was a "Chopin only" recital with a mix of Preludes and Etudes - during a lenghty encore we were treated with with some sublime Nocturnes .... unfortunately this was not recorded by Austrian Radio .... those were the days ....

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Except for his vintage (1959?) concerti disc with Kletzki, I don't care for his Chopin or most anything else he's done, but oddly enough (oddly so even to me), I recall liking his late Schubert sonatas.

Didn't stay with him long enough to hear the Schubert.