What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-4013482-1352324892-1161.jpeg.jpg

Stockhausen - Opus 1970 (Deutsche Grammophon LP). This is basically a version of Stockhausen's "Kurzwellen," a piece in which the performers respond to random short-wave radio signals. Here, to celebrate the 200th anniversary of Beethoven's birth, the radios have been replaced by tapes of Beethoven, prepared by Stockhausen to sound "short-wavy." It actually works pretty well, in my opinion, but I guess Stockhausen later rejected the idea, since he never reissued the recording in his Stockhausen Edition CD series.

On 7.9.2017 at 8:27 AM, soulpope said:

MI0003647251.jpg

How's this? I'm very curious about Marenzio (he was one of Dowland's influences), but never heard any of his music.

Now playing this rare CD, took me several years to find a copy of this recording by the late Laura Alvini, played on a copy of a Gravicembalo col piano e forte that Bartolomeo Cristofori invented.

41Z1dvDiaGL.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

How's this? I'm very curious about Marenzio (he was one of Dowland's influences), but never heard any of his music.

Really interesting and varied five voice music .....  presented here in analytical and sparkling performances by La Compagnia Del Madrigale - this ensemble consists of former members from two other renowed ensembles aka La Venexiana and Concerto Italiano .... La Venexiana had two terrific releases feat Marenzio`s Sesto and Nono Libro de Madrigali for Glossa Music and this release by La Compagnie Del Madrigale is probably even an improvement performancewise .... buy with confidence ....

Edited by soulpope

Listened to 8(9) yesterday.  Sound much better on this Membran CD set than on the dim noisy Vox LPs I have. I was bowled over by the performance. I have some other very good ones: the famous version by Furtwangler, Kempe on  Capitol LP with the RPO from the late '50s (lovely, gentler than most), Bohm on DGG in a complete set, and maybe one by Maderna. Don't feel like comparing them all right now (I think that Maag might be at or near the top), but I'm forever in awe of the composition itself, maybe the greatest symphony by anyone IMO -- not only because of  how thrilling what it does is but how perpetually novel what it does is, at least to me. Each time through I think I know where Schubert is going, and each time I'm somewhat or even a whole lot surprised -- this a function mostly of Schubert, not (I think) of poor memory on my part. And I've heard a lot of symphonies.

Also, Abendroth, in the Furtwangler vein (though Abendroth's concert recording comes earlier)  and maybe even more elemental. And another one, the conductor of which I don't recall, that somehow makes no percepitible tempo transition between the intro and the main section of the first movement -- IIRC because the underlying string figures of the intro are somehow already at the main section's tempo. Need to track that one down and listen again.

Also, Klemperer, Bernstein (NY Phil.), and Toscanini (Philadelphia). Maybe it's AT that doesn't need to accelerate.