What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New arrivals during the week_

71AU4PnuNBL._SL1500_.jpg71xlWbH0tDL._SL1500_.jpg81dVPB501sL._SL1200_.jpg

All excellent, great historical instruments - but the highlight is this one:

71qJoagD6nL._SL1200_.jpg

Better, more intimate sound than on Rousset's CDs, a 1776 Dulcken harpsichord (that Rousset also played), and her best recording to date, flawless, playful, completely at ease with herself and the music. Highly recommended!

2 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Excellent reading with an especially satiesfying Adagio ....

I think you can hardly go wrong with Kubelik as an interpreter of Mahler's music -- especially with regards to pacing and finding the unifying line through works that can come across as disjointed.

To me, he is one of the great conductors of Mahler's music. 

And now for something completely different -- Kenneth Gilbert's recording of the earlier, autograph copy of The Art of the Fugue (see explanation below), which is many respects different from the  commonly performed manuscript version we all know, which Bach added to and modified after he wrote the autograph copy and that probably was tweaked some after his death by his son C.P.E. Bach, who oversaw the publication of the manuscript version. In any case, there are some fugues here that are hair-raisingly far out, harmonically and otherwise. At times you want to say, "Herr Bach, this is getting too damn weird; you're never going to make  it back home from there," and sometimes he pretty much doesn't. But what a trip; in particualr,  Fugue 11 in the autograph version is almost psychedelic.

I have another recording of the autograph TAF by Robert Hill but haven't yet compared it with Gilbert's, which I picked up today. But I don't recall that when listening to Hill's recording that I felt that the music was being hung from sky hooks at times, as I did with Gilbert. I'll be curious to compare. Perhaps Hill's performance normalized some things, while Gilbert just let it all hang out.

The Art of Fugue has been the subject of controversy for years: Was it actually Bach's final composition? Was it intended for performance? In what order are the pieces to be played? For what instrument or instruments was the cycle composed? Fortunately, the lack of definitive answers to many of these questions, especially the one about instrumentation, has resulted in many diffeent wonderful versions being recorded over the years. As to the question of when it was written, Christoph Wolf argues persuasively in the notes to Gilbert's delightful album, that Bach began writing the Art of Fugue in the early 1740s (and perhaps even earlier) and edited and augmented it toward the end of his life. Wolf's conclusions are based on comparisons of the autograph and manuscript copies that survive. Kenneth Gilbert's recording is a special one because it is derived solely from the earlier autograph score. Gilbert's playing is, as always, full and rich, aided by a well-recorded harpsichord built in 1671 in Antwerp and enlarged in Paris in 1758 and 1759. 

Here it is. Fugue ll begins at the 36.25 mark.

35 minutes ago, Olie Brice said:

I love the Smetana, sometimes my favourite late Beethoven

Agree, the Smetana Q was masterful .... beneath Beethoven (both "cycles") and Janacek also some excellent Dvorak, Martinu and Mozart .... we are lucky they recorded recurringly .... still wonder whether Czech Rado will open their archives as plenty of superb "live" Smetana Q recordings are said being in there ....

Any fans of the Zehetmair Quarett here? Recent discovery for me, they're amazing,  Schuman isn't someone I listen to a lot but these performances are sublime...

Been listening to the first disc of their Beethoven / Bruckner / Hartmann / Holliger CD too.  Not completely sure what to make of their Beethoven but quite fascinated by it! Very intense and dramatic.  And the Bruckner is gorgeous.  Will get to the Hatmann and Holliger tomorrow.

zehetmair.jpeg