What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 13.11.2018 at 11:35 PM, Д.Д. said:

Listened to this one, did not like it that much - neither the works, nor the performance. I am not a fan or Ars Antiqua Austria either (saw them live a couple of times), although I do like Gunnar Letzbor's forceful performance of Bach solo violin sonatas and partitas. 

For the last couple of years this has been my go-to disc for baroque lute music: http://www.timespanrecordings.co.uk/david-miller---baroque-lute.html

Would be intersting to read what specifically you do not like about Fischer's lute music and Hoffman's as well as Ars  Antiqua Austria's playing. I always respected their work; the performance turned me into a fan. Letzbor is a perfect interpreter of this virtuoso violin music; their continuous unearthing of rare, beautiful music deserves utmost respect. I find their playing style more than adequate for the music they attempt. Just listening to this one:

51YF1G4-x8L.jpg

As far as your Weiss recommendation is concerned, David Miller to me sounds a bit like a player recurring to modern interpretational methods more than historically informed use of rubato and agogics, and somehow does not touch me. My Weiss recommendation would be Michel Cardin, the box is now offered for twenty box, which is a steal cosidering that for many years these recordings were only available from the performer at hiigh shippnig costs - this is esteemed as one of the top Weiss recordings among lute connoisseurs:

71b8l-Y-cOL._SL1000_.jpg