What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Oh, I bet that's good!  Baker's studio recording of Vier ernste Gesänge is -- Yowza! -- really, really good.

What do you think of this BBC recital, soulpope?

Bought this a decade ago as part of 20+ factory sealed BBC Legends sell-off CD`s for 5 Euro each (those were the days ....) and this CD was not on my "high expectations" list - turns out that Janes Baker`s voice was perfectly suited to Brahms Lieder as her recital has a natural flow and she never comes even close to overdoing things .... warlmy recommended ....

29 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Bought this a decade ago as part of 20+ factory sealed BBC Legends sell-off CD`s for 5 Euro each (those were the days ....) and this CD was not on my "high expectations" list - turns out that Janes Baker`s voice was perfectly suited to Brahms Lieder as her recital has a natural flow and she never comes even close to overdoing things .... warlmy recommended ....

Thanks! :tup 

EDIT:
Speaking of Baker & Brahms . . .

R-6997974-1431339108-4337.jpeg.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

NP:

Sibelius_SymNo1_Stokowski_2.jpg

Sibelius: Symphony No. 1; Swan of Tuonela / Stokowski, National PO (Columbia/Sony)

Yesterday evening, I listened to Barbirolli's recording of Sibelius' First with The Hallé Orchestra. The two conductors' interpretations are very different. But I love them both. Ironically, Stokowski's version strikes me as the more youthful reading. (He was in his 90's when the recording was made.)  When Stokowski's at his best, he conveys an unbelievable sense of color, momentum, and vitality. This Sibelius 1 embodies those qualities. Barbirolli, on the other hand, brings a sense of struggle to the music, imbuing it with a sense of hard-won victory. His reading always makes me think that the story's being told by sagacious old man, like the hero in Tennyson's "Ulysses." 

Or at least that's how I like to think about this stuff. ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

Sibelius_SymNo1_Stokowski_2.jpg

Sibelius: Symphony No. 1; Swan of Tuonela / Stokowski, National PO (Columbia/Sony)

Yesterday evening, I listened to Barbirolli's recording of Sibelius' First with The Hallé Orchestra. The two conductors' interpretations are very different. But I love them both. Ironically, Stokowski's version strikes me as the more youthful reading. (He was in his 90's when the recording was made.)  When Stokowski's at his best, he conveys an unbelievable sense of color, momentum, and vitality. This Sibelius 1 embodies those qualities. Barbirolli, on the other hand, brings a sense of struggle to the music, imbuing it with a sense of hard-won victory. His reading always makes me think that the story's being told by sagacious old man, like the hero in Tennyson's "Ulysses." 

Or at least that's how I like to think about this stuff. ;) 

Excellent description .... btw you are spot on regarding Stokowski's "youthful approach" ....

1 minute ago, soulpope said:

I`m partial to his Bach, but his recitals - indepently of the composers - have a special athmosphere overall .... btw Bach :

Yeah...i already noticed that athmosphere listening to a little fragment of him playing Chopin pianoconcerto. I am going to listen to His Bach readings oneday. Thank you