What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Ingrid Haebler was one of the pianists whose recordings were fraudulently issued as the work of Joyce Hatto.  A highly bizarre story about which much can be found on the Internet.

I just read about this strange story. :tdown

NP

Cd 1: 24 Preludes, op 28.

Prelude in C sharp minor, op 45.

Prelude in A flat major, op. posth.

Impromptus

513nC5AjQrL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by Referentzhunter

On 2/17/2019 at 0:55 PM, soulpope said:

Hi Stijn,

I`m partial to Suske Quartet`s view on Mozart .... these were recorded between 1974 -1978  and assembled here :

51w3ZInCB0L._SY355_.jpg

Concise no frill readings paired with prodigious playfulness.... highly recommended ....

Seeing these posts compelled me to spin discs 4-6 (the later quartets).

Now playing a recent acquisition:

71Pe5XK2VVL._SS500_.jpg

Bruckner - Symphony No. 7 / Tintner, RSNO (Naxos)
This is the first recording I've heard by conductor Georg Tintner. I like his approach very much -- relatively transparent textures; less monumental, more "flowing."  And there's no shortage of atmosphere, despite of the lighter touch. ...It's easy to hear Wagner in Bruckner, but I think Tintner's way with the music makes Bruckner's connection to Beethoven more pronounced.

I remember when Tintner's Bruckner recordings on Naxos were first released and making a big splash. I read about them in Gramophone and the rest. It's odd that those days were 20 (!) years ago. And I'm just getting around to hearing them now. Better late than never, I guess.  

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Now playing a recent acquisition:

71Pe5XK2VVL._SS500_.jpg

Bruckner - Symphony No. 7 / Tintner, RSNO (Naxos)
This is the first recording I've heard by conductor Georg Tintner. I like his approach very much -- relatively transparent textures; less monumental, more "flowing."  And there's no shortage of atmosphere, despite of the lighter touch. ...It's easy to hear Wagner in Bruckner, but I think Tintner's way with the music makes Bruckner's connection to Beethoven more pronounced.

I remember when Tintner's Bruckner recordings on Naxos were first released and making a big splash. I read about them in Gramophone and the rest. It's odd that those days were 20 (!) years ago. And I'm just getting around to hearing them now. Better late than never, I guess.  

I got a bunch of 'em and enjoy the alternative editions, etc. Only kept Study Symphony, 00 and 1 through 4. He was for real.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

36 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I got a bunch of 'em and enjoy the alternative editions, etc. Only kept Study Symphony, 00 and 1 through 4. He was for real.

There's always more music to discover. I like that.

Now I'm listening to two different versions of Vaughan Williams' Fourth Symphony back-to-back.

First up:

81FcGGUm-OL._SS400.jpg

Paul Daniel with the Bournemouth SO (Naxos)

And now spinning on my 'table:

RVW_Sym4_Previn_LSO.png

André Previn with the London SO (RCA)
LP engineered by Kenneth Wilkinson ("Oh yeah!") on Dynaflex vinyl ("Oh no!").