What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:56 PM, HutchFan said:

Now playing a recent acquisition:

71Pe5XK2VVL._SS500_.jpg

Bruckner - Symphony No. 7 / Tintner, RSNO (Naxos)
This is the first recording I've heard by conductor Georg Tintner. I like his approach very much -- relatively transparent textures; less monumental, more "flowing."  And there's no shortage of atmosphere, despite of the lighter touch. ...It's easy to hear Wagner in Bruckner, but I think Tintner's way with the music makes Bruckner's connection to Beethoven more pronounced.

I remember when Tintner's Bruckner recordings on Naxos were first released and making a big splash. I read about them in Gramophone and the rest. It's odd that those days were 20 (!) years ago. And I'm just getting around to hearing them now. Better late than never, I guess.  

I have two Tintner Bruckners - Nos. 00 and 3 - which I've enjoyed listening to very much. My experience with Bruckner is limited, so my comment probably isn't worth a lot. I do like your "flowing" description. That's what I hear and like.

Edited by paul secor

2 hours ago, paul secor said:

I have two Tintner Bruckners - Nos. 00 and 3 - which I've enjoyed listening to very much. My experience with Bruckner is limited, so my comment probably isn't worth a lot. I do like your "flowing" description. That's what I hear and like.

I'm not any sort of Bruckner "expert" either. I've just enjoyed what I've heard from Tintner. ;) 

BTW: Since my original post, I've also heard Tintner's recording of Bruckner's 9th -- and I think it shares the same strengths as his 7th. Bruckner's music can sometimes seem "segmented," with abrupt transitions between musical ideas. With Tintner, I don't get that impression. OTOH, I don't sense he's "smoothing things out."  It's more like he's navigating between musical ideas with aplomb, finding connections between here and there.

Also, I've got to say that I think the Royal Scottish National Orchestra sounds superb on these two recordings. Of course, they don't have the heftier, darker sonorities that people associate with "Bruckner orchestras" -- like the Staatskapelle Dresden. But the RSNO's sound -- brighter, less heavy -- seems to be a perfect fit for Tintner's interpretive approach.

I've been listening two versions of Vaughan Williams' Fifth Symphony consecutively:

51uZz80kfML._SY400_.jpg

Sir John Barbirolli, Philharmonia O (EMI)

and

RVW_Sym5_Handley.png

Vernon Handley, Royal Liverpool PO (EMI)

Barbirolli is one of my favorite conductors, but -- in this particular case -- I think Handley's reading is more persuasive.

Now listening to Karl Böhm's recording of Beethoven's 9th:

415XSSW12TL.jpg

with the Wiener Philharmoniker and Konzertvereinigung Weiner Staatsopernchor
Gwyneth Jones, Tatiana Troyanos, Jess Thomas, and Karl Riddersbusch 

Böhm's LvB recordings were some of the first I ever heard. Back then I was listening to vinyl, this box set:

LvBSyms_Bohm_LP.png

I think the cycle has held up very well -- at least when compared to similar "big band," un-HIP sets.

Böhm's 6th, 7th, and 9th are still among my favorite versions.

Nothing like first impressions. ;)