What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

Underrated. Askenase is an excellent Chopinist. 

Another :tup.  I only know Askenase's Preludes, Op. 28. I have them on an old Heliodor LP.  Very impressive.

Earlier today, during my morning commute:

Alfred-Brendel-Beethoven-Favourite-Piano

Still blown away by these warhorses... 

3 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

GLORIOUS RECORDING - REFERENCE

images.jpg

Yes!  IMO, it's very difficult to top Munch in French music -- Debussy, Ravel, Berlioz.  I suppose one might put Martinon and Dutoit on the "top shelf" with him. :) 

I still play Munch's Berlioz recordings more frequently than anyone else's. 

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

If not in the right mood a lot of otherwise appreciated recordings can have this effect on me :D ....

You are right. Strange people, strange hobby's. So many different moods and minimal braincapacity to understand what you are listening to. Also the character of the listener and the composers character is important in understanding the purposes, moods etc.  of the composer. 

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Yes!  IMO, it's very difficult to top Munch in French music -- Debussy, Ravel, Berlioz.  I suppose one might put Martinon and Dutoit on the "top shelf" with him. :) 

I still play Munch's Berlioz recordings more frequently than anyone else's. 

Any recommendations for Martinton or Dutoit recordings ? To be honest my expectations about Dutoit recordings aren't that high. Or ???

Edited by Referentzhunter

40 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

You are right. Strange people, strange hobby's. So many different moods and minimal braincapacity to understand what you are listening to. Also the character of the listener and the composers character is important in understanding the purposes, moods etc.  of the composer. 

Any recommendations for Martinton or Dutoit recordings ? To be honest my expectations about Dutoit recordings aren't that high. Or ???

Dutoit's "Planets" is felt by many to be the best; AFAIK, it is. There may be better Ravel Piano Concerti than Dutoit-Roge (sorry for the two images), but the last time I listened to it I was impressed. Unfortunately, Martinon's 1966 "live" Mahler 10th with the CSO, once issued by the CSO, is long gone. I was at that concert.

51SNIg1iUML._AC_US218_.jpg51SNIg1iUML._AC_US218_.jpg

513BirIJPtL._AC_US218_.jpg

51GoDZ9gvPL._SX350_PI_PJPrime-Sash-Extra-Large-2017,TopLeft,0,0_AC_US218_.jpg

36 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Dutoit's "Planets" is felt by many to be the best; AFAIK, it is. There may be better Ravel Piano Concerti than Dutoit-Roge (sorry for the two images), but the last time I listened to it I was impressed. Unfortunately, Martinon's 1966 "live" Mahler 10th with the CSO, once issued by the CSO, is long gone. I was at that concert.

51SNIg1iUML._AC_US218_.jpg51SNIg1iUML._AC_US218_.jpg

513BirIJPtL._AC_US218_.jpg

51GoDZ9gvPL._SX350_PI_PJPrime-Sash-Extra-Large-2017,TopLeft,0,0_AC_US218_.jpg

Thank you for the suggestions. I can imagine that this are pretty good performances. Maybe i have the opportunity to listen to some of them in the future. I have other french artists on the topshelf for pianoconcerto (as you said), Ravel's Rapsodie espagnole and i am pretty sure about these recordings.

I have heard mixed reactions for Dutoit's The Planets bye the way but i haven't heard it myself on cd or lp. Still haven't a definitive version for this peace of music. Maybe this is it but i have my doubts.

Edited by Referentzhunter

18 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

Thank you for the suggestions. I can imagine that this are pretty good performances. Maybe i have the opportunity to listen to some of them in the future. I have other french artists on the topshelf for pianoconcerto (as you said), Ravel's Rapsodie espagnole and i am pretty sure about these recordings.

I have heard mixed reactions for Dutoit's The Planets bye the way but i haven't heard it myself on cd or lp. Still haven't a definitive version for this peace of music. Maybe this is it but i have my doubts.

For a detailed, entertaining, and it seems to me basically trustworthy guide to recordings of "The Planets," go here (click on entries for commentary):

https://petersplanets.wordpress.com/

I don't think you can go wrong with Dutoit's recordings of Ravel's music on London/Decca. The one that Larry mentioned -- and all the rest!  Dutoit's Ravel is collected in this 4-CD box:

81b7h27yq7L._SX325_.jpg

Incidentally, I also agree with Larry's Dutoit/OSM Holst "The Planets" recommendation. :tup 

Similarly, Martinon's Debussy on EMI/Warner Classics is nonpareil, IMO.

516vUdx2vaL._SX325_.jpg  51090g8McSL._SX325_.jpg

And, like I said earlier, I prefer Munch for Berlioz. (Colin Davis is fabulous too -- and others as well. But Munch is "home base," where I always return.)

Just my perspective, of course! There are MANY, MANY wonderful recordings of these three French giants.

Edited by HutchFan