What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Note. This is the 1985 version !

Thrilling ! He plays it fast (in Russian style). Sometimes a little, little rushed in the slowest tempo's. Also digestible for me are parts of his recordings of Beethoven. Still want to hear his Sibelius (heard good things about his recordings). Do not like his Brahms and absolutly dislike his Mozart, Mahler.

f65bd2b45c5ff03cd51014bf7f04c9b0.jpg

Edited by Referentzhunter

For 50 cents I figured why not, even though two of these cantatas, from the Stalin era, supposedly left DS so humiliated by what he'd done that after their premieres he wept with shame and got drunk. (The third, the celebrated "The Execution of Stepan Razin," from the post Stalin era, is something of a work of protest.) I already have an excellent fiery "Razin," with Kondrashin, but the made to order for Stalin cantatas, one about post-war reforestration, one an ode to the motherland and its glorious leader, when listened to without the lyrics (not provided here), are rather thrilling in their marshaling of vast choral-orchestral forces. Yes, the musical language is rather simplistic by DS's normal standards, but I'm not left with the impression that he's working in a mechanical manner. May change my mind on this, but if you turn the volume way up, you may feel like salaaming to Uncle Joe.

91kTM5dPxwL._SX425_.jpg