What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Listening again. Recommended especially for the Franck-sonata recording. Did almost blew me out of my chair. Mintz playing here is so... so intense and convincing ! superb !!! Don't possibly underestimate this recording of Franck's sonata because they were very young at the moment of the recording.

ghgg.jpg.2da10e6f968722c5e151b18772e16fac.jpg

Edited by Referentzhunter

47 minutes ago, JSngry said:

R-8556249-1463975133-1258.jpeg.jpg

R-8556249-1463975129-9984.jpeg.jpg

omg, this is beautiful...hard to believe that it's the same composition heard on this:

R-6427388-1419862919-2291.jpeg.jpg

Try on this one  below for size (tenor and piano version, with master of French declamation Hugues Cuenod):

P.S. from composer Robin Holloway:
'It might seem strange (he is referring to the recording  below] to record the vocal score of "Socrate," but in fact there are many advantages. While Satie must intend his instrumentation to make a sound as carefully neural as his notes, it doesn't really work; balance is odd, individual timbres will not be repressed, and the overall effect is surprisingly coarse. Whereas the piano is  the ideal medium -- the accompaniment can all be played without loss of detail, and its solemn simplicities realised with uniformity of touch and rhythm.'

'Similarly, to used one voice rather than to "dramatize"the work seems to me entirely in the spirit of its particular stylization. Also that it is a single man's voice rather that four women's: and this man's voice is so singular and un-singing! In 'Socrate' not a vestige of hedonistic pleasure remains; it is not merely paradoxical to say that the effect is enhanced by the lack of gratification..... Satie's miracle here is to make his listeners live totally on water alone.

'He does it by employing a harmonic range entirely without dissonance or suspension. Not literally of course -- he has 'suspended the suspension,' frozen anything tense and cadence-needing in his chords so that no move is needed after all, and fixed his added notes so that every chord, whatver its constitution, is 'common.' This norm established, exceptions to it are all the more telling.'

I like that one too. A lot less "sensual" than Hannigan's, maybe more "correct", I don't know enough about thatto say. But if my Discogs order goes through, I'll have both and enjoy each on their own merits. Maybe even someday have enough awareness to have an informed opinion. But I kinda hope not...just hearing something that is not as obviously off as that Esoteric LP (sorry, Jerry Newman) might be good enough for me for the duration.

51Pbfud4cBL.jpg

Learning French well enough to fully appreciate the words as well as the music...let's see how long I live and how much free time I have while so doing. Obne hopes...not jsut for French, but for Spanish as well.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

In spite of the silly translations on the cover, wonderful recordings.

R-4183391-1357884547-4289.jpeg.jpg

Would you have an alternative that improves significantly on the Berlioz title? ;)

P.S. Looking at the RCA label, if you remember how often they included SPANISH translations in brackets on the their track listings back in the 50s (apparently not only on records PRESSED in Hispanic countries) you will be aware that silly or at least rather awkward translations were no isolated case. And Capitol wasn't any better overall.

FWIW, the English title of the Debussy item IS a fairly apt rendering of the title of that works for the English-speaking world and actually was based on a poem of the same (English) title by Rossetti (an Englishman, not Italian - sez WIkipedia ;)). So in turn the French translation seems quite appropriate to me ("elu" meaning "chosen" conveyed by the term "blessed" here - not all that linguistically unreasonable, given the era).

Edited by Big Beat Steve