What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Would you have an alternative that improves significantly on the Berlioz title? ;)

P.S. Looking at the RCA label, if you remember how often they included SPANISH translations in brackets on the their track listings back in the 50s (apparently not only on records PRESSED in Hispanic countries) you will be aware that silly or at least rather awkward translations were no isolated case. And Capitol wasn't any better overall.

FWIW, the English title of the Debussy item IS a fairly apt rendering of the title of that works for the English-speaking world and actually was based on a poem of the same (English) title by Rossetti (an Englishman, not Italian - sez WIkipedia ;)). So in turn the French translation seems quite appropriate to me ("elu" meaning "chosen" conveyed by the term "blessed" here - not all that linguistically unreasonable, given the era).

How about just plain Les nuits d'été?

1 hour ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Genius at work.

A recording filled with 'feeling'. Detailed and the right tempi. Great stuff for sure. Can you explain why you think he is a genius ? I am seriously questioning myself.

Edited by Referentzhunter