StarThrower

What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

10,419 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

In spite of the silly translations on the cover, wonderful recordings.

R-4183391-1357884547-4289.jpeg.jpg

Would you have an alternative that improves significantly on the Berlioz title? ;)

P.S. Looking at the RCA label, if you remember how often they included SPANISH translations in brackets on the their track listings back in the 50s (apparently not only on records PRESSED in Hispanic countries) you will be aware that silly or at least rather awkward translations were no isolated case. And Capitol wasn't any better overall.

FWIW, the English title of the Debussy item IS a fairly apt rendering of the title of that works for the English-speaking world and actually was based on a poem of the same (English) title by Rossetti (an Englishman, not Italian - sez WIkipedia ;)). So in turn the French translation seems quite appropriate to me ("elu" meaning "chosen" conveyed by the term "blessed" here - not all that linguistically unreasonable, given the era).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Earlier today .... :

61yxe2W-9zL.jpg

Benchmark Brahms cycle ....

4 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Would you have an alternative that improves significantly on the Berlioz title? ;)

P.S. Looking at the RCA label, if you remember how often they included SPANISH translations in brackets on the their track listings back in the 50s (apparently not only on records PRESSED in Hispanic countries) you will be aware that silly or at least rather awkward translations were no isolated case. And Capitol wasn't any better overall.

FWIW, the English title of the Debussy item IS a fairly apt rendering of the title of that works for the English-speaking world and actually was based on a poem of the same (English) title by Rossetti (an Englishman, not Italian - sez WIkipedia ;)). So in turn the French translation seems quite appropriate to me ("elu" meaning "chosen" conveyed by the term "blessed" here - not all that linguistically unreasonable, given the era).

How about just plain Les nuits d'été?

Stunning coverart ! Decent performance to.

jbhbhj.jpg

Edited by Referentzhunter

11 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

jbhbhj.jpg

Yes ....

24 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Yes ....

His 11th ... !!!

Anmerkung-2019-10-01-081424.jpg

Jessye Norman (1945 - 2019)     R.I.P ....

48fa6dab36-1.jpg

Edited by soulpope

This Cardin set is great. 

Yes. If only the CD player in the living room of the house where we stay would function properly ..... you close the tray, and it opens again immediately. At last the HiFi upstairs works fine.

5 hours ago, soulpope said:

51Z1J7DFV8L.jpg

Terrific ....

What a great label BBC Legends is !

41 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

What a great label BBC Legends is !

Very much agreed ....

7 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

UCCG-51009.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Genius at work.

First play of this reference quality recording from lp. Breathtaking experience !

hugh.jpg

1 hour ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Genius at work.

A recording filled with 'feeling'. Detailed and the right tempi. Great stuff for sure. Can you explain why you think he is a genius ? I am seriously questioning myself.

String Quartet in B flat major, Op4 (1890) Is played at virtuoso level on this premiere recording. It is the ending that hits me the most.

hghjghj.jpg