What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

copied from the vinyl topic:

Now listening to my favorite Mahler 5. It is a shame this hasn't made the transition to digital.

I got to know the sessions intimately while preparing the lp masters for the HNH issue. The tapes 'felt' compressed to me and we complained to the Stockholm Philharmonic ( the source of the tapes ) and they said they did that because the hall was built over some rail tracks and 'rumble' intruded at some points. We requested unadulterated tapes and proceeded to make a more honest representation of the music.

911I-5XvIGL._SX522_.jpg

•  

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

81nUokOGNFL._SL1500_.jpg

Great stuff. 

3 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

Any recommendations for John Cage's music ? :shrug[1]:

I am not too knowledgeable about Cage (and a lot of what I heard I did not like), but I really like this piano music cycle by Boris Berman on Naxos. 

I had the complete piano music set by Schleiermacher (on MDG), and did not like it nearly as much as Bermans.   

51kQtU4m6qL.jpg 51E9tCrlXvL.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

14 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

81nUokOGNFL._SL1500_.jpg

Great stuff. 

I am not too knowledgeable about Cage (and a lot of what I heard I did not like), but I really like this piano music cycle by Boris Berman on Naxos. 

I had the complete piano music set by Schleiermacher (on MDG), and did not like it nearly as much as Bermans.   

51kQtU4m6qL.jpg 51E9tCrlXvL.jpg

Thank you for your recommendation, i will have a listen.

12 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

copied from the vinyl topic:

Now listening to my favorite Mahler 5. It is a shame this hasn't made the transition to digital.

I got to know the sessions intimately while preparing the lp masters for the HNH issue. The tapes 'felt' compressed to me and we complained to the Stockholm Philharmonic ( the source of the tapes ) and they said they did that because the hall was built over some rail tracks and 'rumble' intruded at some points. We requested unadulterated tapes and proceeded to make a more honest representation of the music.

911I-5XvIGL._SX522_.jpg

•  

Interesting! I didn't know of this recording and will try to seek it out. Apparently there was a Swedish pressing on a different imprint that might be easier to find over here, but I don't know how the pressing quality holds up. 

So, is any train noise audible on the non-compressed version? :)

As it is, a subway station was opened right below the Konserthuset in 1952.

sam_0848_54823e85e087c305776e5973.jpg

Edited by Daniel A

50 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Interesting! I didn't know of this recording and will try to seek it out. Apparently there was a Swedish pressing on a different imprint that might be easier to find over here, but I don't know how the pressing quality holds up. 

So, is any train noise audible on the non-compressed version? :)

As it is, a subway station was opened right below the Konserthuset in 1952.

sam_0848_54823e85e087c305776e5973.jpg

Yes,  the symphony issued it first - I think it had a blue cover. Our version was less compressed than theirs. We filtered out some low frequencies when the noise appeared.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

You know George Avakian was married to Maro's sister Anahid, a violinist?

About ten years ago I was at an Arbors recording session at Nola Studios on which my friend Randy Sandke was playing. Afterwards we all retired to Birdland to listen to some music and schmooze. I was seated next to Avakian, whom I'd never met before. Making small talk, I told him how much I had enjoyed the old (mid-1950s) Columbia LP on which his wife had played several AlanHovhaness pieces (my introduction to Hovhaness, these were coupled with Stefan Wolpe's "Ten Songs from the Hebrew"). Avakian was pleased to hear this and seemingly surprised that anyone remembered or had even heard the album. I still have it.

51 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

About ten years ago I was at an Arbors recording session at Nola Studios on which my friend Randy Sandke was playing. Afterwards we all retired to Birdland to listen to some music and schmooze. I was seated next to Avakian, whom I'd never met before. Making small talk, I told him how much I had enjoyed the old (mid-1950s) Columbia LP on which his wife had played several AlanHovhaness pieces (my introduction to Hovhaness, these were coupled with Stefan Wolpe's "Ten Songs from the Hebrew"). Avakian was pleased to hear this and seemingly surprised that anyone remembered or had even heard the album. I still have it.

I have a Dial lp (dial 6) containing 4 Hovhaness compositions.

Lousadzak-concerto for piano and orchestra w/Maro Ajemian, conducted by the composer

Tzikerk for flute (Phillip Kaplan), Violin (Anahid Ajemian), tympani (Saul Goodman) and strings conducted by the composer

Achtamar for solo piano (Maro Ajemian)

Shatakh for piano and violin (the usual suspects)

41n9RVKWrrL._SX355_.jpg

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Dial Classical Mosaic.

They're running out of Woody Herman and will never run out of Louis Armstrong. And John Cage sells (some) records.

Not to totally discount the idea, but I don't see a crying need for more Cage releases. There's already a "Complete Cage Edition" in progress on Mode. I thought there was one on Wergo, but can't immediately verify.

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Ten Songs From The Hebrew / Upon Enchanted Ground / Suite For Violin, Piano, And Percussion (Vinyl, LP, Mono) album cover

Stefan Wolpe / Alan Hovhaness ‎– Ten Songs From The Hebrew / Upon Enchanted Ground / Suite For Violin, Piano, And Percussion

Label:
Columbia Masterworks ‎– ML 5179
Series:
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Mono
US
Released:
Genre:
Style:

TracklistHide Credits

A Stefan Wolpe Ten Songs From The Hebrew
Alto Vocals – Arline CarmenBass Vocals – Leon LishnerComposed By – Stefan WolpePiano – David Tudor

B1 Alan Hovhaness Upon Enchanted Ground
Cello – Claus AdamComposed By – Alan HovhanessConductor – Alan HovhanessFlute – Samuel BaronHarp – Lucile LawrenceTam-tam – Elden Bailey*

B2 Alan Hovhaness Suite For Violin, Piano, And Percussion
Composed By – Alan HovhanessPercussion – Elden Bailey*Piano – Maro AjemianViolin – Anahid Ajemian

1 minute ago, Larry Kart said:
Ten Songs From The Hebrew / Upon Enchanted Ground / Suite For Violin, Piano, And Percussion (Vinyl, LP, Mono) album cover

Stefan Wolpe / Alan Hovhaness ‎– Ten Songs From The Hebrew / Upon Enchanted Ground / Suite For Violin, Piano, And Percussion

Label:
Columbia Masterworks ‎– ML 5179
Series:
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Mono
US
Released:
Genre:
Style:

TracklistHide Credits

A Stefan Wolpe Ten Songs From The Hebrew
Alto Vocals – Arline CarmenBass Vocals – Leon LishnerComposed By – Stefan WolpePiano – David Tudor

B1 Alan Hovhaness Upon Enchanted Ground
Cello – Claus AdamComposed By – Alan HovhanessConductor – Alan HovhanessFlute – Samuel BaronHarp – Lucile LawrenceTam-tam – Elden Bailey*

B2 Alan Hovhaness Suite For Violin, Piano, And Percussion
Composed By – Alan HovhanessPercussion – Elden Bailey*Piano – Maro AjemianViolin – Anahid Ajemian

Columbia Modern American Music Series box from Sony. I would be so in on that one.

17 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

Any recommendations for John Cage's music ? :shrug[1]:

A-26955-1454644475-9243.jpeg.jpg

That's a tough one. Most "accessible" recommendations would be the S & I for PP by Ajemian and various "early" percussion works.

I think that to get deeply into Cage you have to share his aesthetic philosophy of randomness to some degree. And that's far from a common preference.

I had recordings of some "classic" instrumental performances like Grete Sultan's Music of Changes (Wergo) and Irvine Arditti's Freeman Etudes (Newport Classics) but didn't care for them.

I can get into Roaratorio if in the right mood. I generally enjoy the late "Number Pieces", but frankly haven't found it necessary to acquire many recordings thereof. Don't know if you'd care for them; maybe you could try some samples/clips.

These are some "number piece" recordings I like:

R-1082021-1190692918.jpeg.jpg R-1004967-1183093388.jpeg.jpg

The latter is really great (oop but maybe you can buy it direct from Goldstein), and if you don't like the Cage you at least have an excellent Feldman recording.

This is an intriguing new number piece recording I intend to buy but haven't yet heard (waiting for USA release):

Two2.jpg

Two^2 is different from most other number pieces (which involve time intervals and stopwatches), and allows more performer discretion re. tempi.

Edited by T.D.