What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

1_7e04d20b0e1fb90bd1ba1aca6b903753.jpg

James Houlik Plays the Tenor Saxophone (Golden Crest LP). Spun this for the first time a few years, since it was misplaced. (The story is in another thread.) The most substantial pieces here are by Walter Hartley - "Poem" and a sonata. But I've always been fascinated by William Duckworth's "Pitt County Excursions," a four-movement suite in which the movements time out at 1:02, 1:03, :24, and :41. The saxophone part of "Air," the second movement, consists entirely of multiphonics.

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Johannes Brahms – Concerto for Piano No.2 in B flat major Op.83
— Sviatoslav Richter (piano) – Orchestre de Paris – Lorin Maazel 

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Sonata for Violin and Piano in G major K 379 (373a)
— Oleg Kagan (violin), Sviatoslav Richter (piano) (EMI Classics)

MI0001179774.jpg?partner=allrovi.com  R-3206115-1320450100.jpeg.jpg  41D3B%2BKQgyL.jpg

Antonín Dvorák – Concerto for Piano in G minor Op.33/B 63
— Sviatoslav Richter (piano) – Bavarian State Orchestra – Carlos Kleiber 

Béla Bartók – Concerto for Piano No.2 Sz 95
— Sviatoslav Richter (piano) – Orchestre de Paris – Lorin Maazel (EMI Classics)

MI0001179774.jpg?partner=allrovi.com  71CPthmM3PL._SX425_.jpg  R-3667210-1339544038-9740.jpeg.jpg

Some more Richter...

Edited by alankin

515WXEBEXPL.jpg

Would love to hear this live - the suites are common but the full ballet score rare. In fact with ballet would be wonderful. Sumptuous music.

21984.jpg

Different, but equally enthralling Ravel. Fascinating example of jazz/blues influence in the main violin sonata - you often hear his piano concerto that displays those influences but this is less common. Also includes a sonata by someone called Lekeu who I've no idea about.

MI0001044552.jpg?partner=allrovi.com612qEeZv11L._SY300_.jpg

Disc 2 of Satie; disc 2 also of the Delius - The Walk to the Paradise Garden; A Song of Summer; Irmelin Prelude; Late Swallows (arr. Fenby); Appalachia

All nigh on perfect for blue, cloudless day suggesting summer has arrived.  

Edited by A Lark Ascending

On 27.4.2016 at 9:18 AM, mikeweil said:

4026798100247.jpg

Bob van Asperen's Froberger edition was finally completed for the 400th anniversary of his birth, eleven discs in eight volumes, excellently played, beautifully recorded on instruments from Froberger's lifetime. The label lowered prices and offers "bundels" of the CDs, too, so I can finally complete my set. Just ordered the new volume 8 and the four still missing in my collection, now listening to volume one, on which one hears harpsichord suites in perfect rhetoric diction, played on an original 1640 Ruckers harpsichord preserved in a North German castle that belongs to the same family that ordered the isntrument back then. It was only slightly altered in the 18th century ("petit ravalement"), keeping the original case and soundboard untouched. 

For anyone seriously interested in Froberger, this is the recording to get. Here's a link to the label's page of the edition, with complete contents andsound samples for each disc: https://www.aeolus-music.com/Alle-Tontraeger/Bundles/AE80004-Complete-Froberger-edition

The remaining five volumes arrived yesterday, listened through Vol. 8 earlier this morning. Now spinning Vol. 2. It is a beautifully realised project, flawlessly done with great commentaries and beautifully recorded on unique original instruments. The definitive Froberger recording to get from now on, highly recommended. I have a lot of Froberger recordings, but this one tops them all. 

91%2B0CT5O8iL._SL1200_.jpg51zgr-BZgGL.jpg

Yes! I'm very fond of Invernizzi (played yesterday, contains two of the Rossi cantatas also on the LeBlanc). Of these three, I still prefer the LeBlanc by a margin! Zomer I guess I prefer in French and somewhat later ("galant") repertoire, she's a bit too cool and too straight, not quite emotional and warm enough for me here, the "Odi Euterpe" is better in that respect, but LeBlanc is just perfect!

Heitor Villa-Lobos – Bachiana Brasileira No.2 for Orchestra "Le petit train de Caipiri", No.5 for Soprano & 8 Cellos, No.6 for Flute & Bassoon, No.9 for Strings Ochestra
— Mady Mesplé (soprano), Albert Tétard (cello solo), Michel Debost (flute), André Sennedat (bassoon) – Orchestre de Paris – Paul Capolongo (EMI)

bachianas.jpg