StarThrower

What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

11,529 posts in this topic

:shrug[1]: In need for a Mahler cycle. What set has more value ?

Also considering first Haitink cycle ( the only complete cycle i litened to on lp, sold it, did not liked it that much, but ain't completely sure) or Kubelik.

ghghg.jpg

R-1255113-1204929464.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Referentzhunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Referentzhunter said:

:shrug[1]: In need for a Mahler cycle. What set has more value ?

Also considering first Haitink cycle ( the only complete cycle i litened to on lp, sold it, did not liked it that much, but ain't completely sure) or Kubelik.

ghghg.jpg

R-1255113-1204929464.jpeg.jpg

I suspect there is not a completely satisfying Mahler cycle for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haydn -51mIyP1rpeL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg String Quartets Op.20/6,  Op.20/3,  Op.20/1 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schnabel plays Mozart - Piano Sonata K.570, Rondo K.511, Piano Concerto No.21, K.467

71f21oz+F-L._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

I suspect there is not a completely satisfying Mahler cycle for me.

That's been my experience too.  I do think some Mahler conductors are more consistent than others from performance-to-performance.  But none of them (that I've heard) "hits it out of the park" in every single performance in a cycle, from the First through the Ninth.

But that's part of the fun, isn't it?  Finding the right combinations of repertoire and artists, and seeing if the magic happens.  (And not just for Mahler.)

All that said, if I could only listen to one Mahler cycle for the rest of my life, it would be Kubelik's.  I think he's the most consistent from the beginning to the end.  (I'm speaking of Kubelik's DG studio cycle. I've only heard a couple of his live recordings on Audite.)

 

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Early morning with .... :

pmr0093_bach_webcover_0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

That's been my experience too.  I do think some Mahler conductors are more consistent than others from performance-to-performance.  But none of them (that I've heard) "hits it out of the park" in every single performance in a cycle, from the First through the Ninth.

But that's part of the fun, isn't it?  Finding the right combinations of repertoire and artists, and seeing if the magic happens.  (And not just for Mahler.)

All that said, if I could only listen to one Mahler cycle for the rest of my life, it would be Kubelik's.  I think he's the most consistent from the beginning to the end.  (I'm speaking of Kubelik's DG studio cycle. I've only heard a couple of his live recordings on Audite.)

 

I was reaching towards Kubelik to. Heard only the first but it is more natural than others. When listening to Abbado i was strugged by the realisation that i was listening to 'Abbado' and i wanted to hear a consistingly flowing musicl experience instead and more Mahler. I had the feeling to be getting stucked several times in a short time while listening (could be a personal thing but who says ?) . I have absolutely no problems searching the right combination of reprtoire and artists but what i dislike is that instead of buying one budgetbox (20-35 euro) i have to pay now for each peformance seperatly (sometimes up to 20 euro or more, actual example) . If you have a big bag of money that would be no problem but for me it is . But i have time i guess......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BBCL-4082-Richter.jpg

Thereof the "Russians" ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Early morning with .... :

pmr0093_bach_webcover_0.jpg

Gotta check this one out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More "Strings N' Things" .... :

Anmerkung-2020-02-26-095442.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

I was reaching towards Kubelik to. Heard only the first but it is more natural than others. When listening to Abbado i was strugged by the realisation that i was listening to 'Abbado' and i wanted to hear a consistingly flowing musicl experience instead and more Mahler. I had the feeling to be getting stucked several times in a short time while listening (could be a personal thing but who says ?) . I have absolutely no problems searching the right combination of reprtoire and artists but what i dislike is that instead of buying one budgetbox (20-35 euro) i have to pay now for each peformance seperatly (sometimes up to 20 euro or more, actual example) . If you have a big bag of money that would be no problem but for me it is . But i have time i guess......

I hear you on that point. ;)  Managing the "music budget" is always a consideration!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prompted by discussion here:

81FmBKG3vzL._SS500_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.