What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/27/2020 at 3:21 AM, Д.Д. said:

Not familiar with the performers, but this Janacek sonata is gorgeous. The first classical CD I bought was of Janacek and Prokofiev piano & violin sonatas! 

Oh yes it is! I think this performance is wonderful as well. I like Isabelle Faust very much and have most of her recordings. This and her Bartok recordings are favourites.

EDIT: yes, as Mr. soulpope commented it is excellent indeed :D

playing Bartok now,

Bartok-Violin-Sonatas-Isabelle-Faust-Flo

Edited by Marzz

71BTmRFSLIL._SX522_.jpg

Discs 4 & 5
"Bleeding Chunks" from Wagner's operas:
- Das Rheingold
- Die Walküre
- Götterdämmerung
- Tristan und Isolde
- Tannhäuser
- Rienzi
- Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg

Music that plays to Stokowski's strengths as a conductor: Color! Mood!! Drama!!! 

On 4/27/2020 at 6:16 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

John Adam’s conducting Germany’s ‘Ensemble Modern’ (Ives 4) is my go-to recording, fwiw.

It’s an expanded orchestra-size group, and not the typically smaller chamber-size Ensemble Modern config (but the EM is at its core).

A bit tricky to find on CD (I ordered  mine directly from the EM website 15+ years ago), but there are download options available - though be careful, I understand some download sites only have like 15-seconds(!) of the second movement (and the free streaming version on YouTube is the same).

The CD version (which I have) is just 30 minutes long - but was worth every single penny (imho).

https://www.discogs.com/Charles-Ives-Fourth-Symphony/release/8369773

On 4/27/2020 at 8:20 PM, Д.Д. said:

Yes, you're right, 2nd movement (Allegretto) is only 12 seconds long on Spotify! I sent a request to Ensemble Modern to make it at least 24 seconds.  

OK, I got an answer from EM, they will have the issue with streaming / downloads fixed. Moreover, the CD is available directly from their website: https://www.ensemble-modern.com/en/shop/cds/fourth-symphony/18#d-18