What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

71BTmRFSLIL._SX522_.jpg

Disc 8 - Dvořák: Sym. No. 9 "From the New World"; Smetana: The Moldau and "The Bartered Bride" Overture

EDIT: Just read this quote about Stokowski by author & composer Eric Salzman: "There used to be an old idea about Music as Magic. Not just the 'weave-a-spell' bit but a really serious notion that a great musician could transform mere sounds into something more than the sum of their parts -- an illusion of tangibility, so to speak, a kind of shared revelation and no questions asked. Now there's only one of those wizards left and his name is Leopold Stokowski..."

Disagree with Salzman about Stoki being the last musical wizard. But otherwise... RIGHT ON!!!

Edited by HutchFan

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

71BTmRFSLIL._SX522_.jpg

Disc 8 - Dvořák: Sym. No. 9 "From the New World"; Smetana: The Moldau and "The Bartered Bride" Overture

EDIT: Just read this quote about Stokowski by author & composer Eric Salzman: "There used to be an old idea about Music as Magic. Not just the 'weave-a-spell' bit but a really serious notion that a great musician could transform mere sounds into something more than the sum of their parts -- an illusion of tangibility, so to speak, a kind of shared revelation and no questions asked. Now there's only one of those wizards left and his name is Leopold Stokowski..."

Disagree with Salzman about Stoki being the last musical wizard. But otherwise... RIGHT ON!!!

Had the Dvorak on lp - it came with a 2nd lp with a recording of the symphony from 78s. I listened to the Mahler 2 from this box today and was irritated.

2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Had the Dvorak on lp - it came with a 2nd lp with a recording of the symphony from 78s. I listened to the Mahler 2 from this box today and was irritated.

I think Stoki's "Resurrection" is O.K. -- but I prefer recordings by Walter, Bernstein, and Scherchen.

What was it about Stokowski's performance that bugged you, Chuck?

Edited by HutchFan

On 4/28/2020 at 0:57 AM, soulpope said:

31ffee1796bb4211dcd352c5586188bef2146df8

:tup:tup What a fine Edition (the Schubert/Goerne) this was (is)! Edit - I meant to 'multi quote' the excellent Sehnsucht disc you posted as well.

NP: Braga Santos - String Quartets/Sextet (Toccata Classics)

Braga-Santos-Complete-Chamber-Music-Vol-

Edited by Marzz

59 minutes ago, Marzz said:

:tup:tup What a fine Edition (the Schubert/Goerne) this was (is)! Edit - I meant to 'multi quote' the excellent Sehnsucht disc you posted as well.

Yep .... and "Sehnsucht" probably the crown jewel of this series .....