What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

Op.20/1  and Op.20/2

71ka3BV2RNL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I have been listening to the Haydn string quartets lately more than anything else.  I never paid much attention to them.  I read an informative and concise article years ago about the string quartet repertoire by David Rounds.  He ranks Haydn's and Shostakovich's cycles to be the greatest cycles after Beethoven.  He places Bartok's cycle just after Haydn and Shostakovich.  At the time, I listened to  a few of Haydn's quartets and did not understand why he ranked them so highly. 

The lightbulb went on recently.  Rounds was right.  They are really great.  I disagree with Rounds assessment that Opus 22 and Opus 33 are not masterpieces, but that Haydn was "still learning."  To my ears all of them from Opus 20 to Opus 77 are masterpieces.

How is the sound on the Schneider set?

3 hours ago, sonnyhill said:

I have been listening to the Haydn string quartets lately more than anything else.  I never paid much attention to them.  I read an informative and concise article years ago about the string quartet repertoire by David Rounds.  He ranks Haydn's and Shostakovich's cycles to be the greatest cycles after Beethoven.  He places Bartok's cycle just after Haydn and Shostakovich.  At the time, I listened to  a few of Haydn's quartets and did not understand why he ranked them so highly. 

The lightbulb went on recently.  Rounds was right.  They are really great.  I disagree with Rounds assessment that Opus 22 and Opus 33 are not masterpieces, but that Haydn was "still learning."  To my ears all of them from Opus 20 to Opus 77 are masterpieces.

How is the sound on the Schneider set?

The Schneider set is in mono, but to my ears the sound is very good.

The box set includes  Opus 1 ,Opus 2,  Opus 17, Opus 20, Opus 33, Opus 50,  Opus 51, Opus 64, Opus 76 and Opus 77. Unfortunately missing are Opus 54, Opus 55, Opus 71 and Opus 74.

Nonetheless, the Schneider set is a truly outstanding one that I heartily recommend.

On 14.5.2020 at 0:41 AM, HutchFan said:

More Elgar and more Barbirolli:

51rOk56PSzL._SX466_.jpg

Du Pre is reference for cello concerto, thats for sure. And the cello concerto ranks prime among Elgars concertos.
If you like Elgars concertos listen to his absolutely wonderful violin concerto.
I can highly recommend the recording with Nigel Kennedy. 

2 hours ago, Balladeer said:

Du Pre is reference for cello concerto, thats for sure. And the cello concerto ranks prime among Elgars concertos.
If you like Elgars concertos listen to his absolutely wonderful violin concerto.
I can highly recommend the recording with Nigel Kennedy. 

👍