What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41X6S9NLKGL.jpg

Conrad Steinmann's fascinating attempt on ancient Greek and Oriental flute music traditions.

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

ab67616d0000b273e39f1969775b0e6b14f671b5

How do you like / what do you think of this? I saw Qeyras live with these and found his playing not very special.

Edited by mikeweil

81etlPeWd0L._SL1200_.jpg

This Doles was the son of Johann Sebastian Bach's better known pupil of the same name. This collection and three vocal pieces are all that survived. He was a lawyer composing during his time off. Nice music and playing beyond the early classical clichés, with a personal style. Well played (this pianist just completed her complete recording of Kozeluch's sonatas) but recorded with a little too much room ambiance.

Edited by mikeweil

On 10.10.2020 at 5:52 PM, mikeweil said:

How do you like / what do you think of this? I saw Qeyras live with these and found his playing not very special.

Got this as gift (wouldn`t have bought it on my own) and am very thankful for it .... Queyras doesn`t have the intensity of Casals/Starker/Schiff or playfulness of Ophélie Gaillard, bur his calm reading slowly sinks in and therefore meets my understanding of Bach`s music .... probably in "live" setting this effect is harder detectable .....

Edited by soulpope

My favorite (albeit not perfect) performance of (probably) my favorite Mozart work: Sonata in B Flat Major for Violin and Piano, K. 454.

The work itself is sublime -- in particular the formal and emotional relationship among the three movements: Forgive these groping characterizations: The first movement, immensely poised, balanced, and poignant; the second, a solemn immense and wholly Mozartean sadness; the third; a tremendous outburst of bouncing contrapuntal energy and joy that nonetheless is not without reference to the second movement's sadness and the first's poise snd balance.

My favorite performance, (from 1974): Szymon Goldberg and Radu Lupu (London). Not perfect because Goldberg, arguably the greatest Mozart fiddler of the 20th Century, is here in his mid-60s, maybe a decade or so past his prime, amid all of his beauty, wisdom, and insights. Lupu is in prime, and clearly inspired by his partner, but given Goldberg's  age there are times when Lupu comes close to rushing him off his feet. Nonetheless, I've yet to find a superior version.