What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a general question and i hope you can answer it.

I am a little worried that my stylus is worn. I played a record with very dynamic passages also at the inner grooves and heared distorted sibilance and some muddy sound in the mid-range. I read that this can happen also with new stylus also if this is well adjusted so i am sceptical about the needle been completely worn out.

What are your experiences ? Have you've experienced similar things with extreem dynamic passages at the inner grooves ?

50 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

I have a general question and i hope you can answer it.

I am a little worried that my stylus is worn. I played a record with very dynamic passages also at the inner grooves and heared distorted sibilance and some muddy sound in the mid-range. I read that this can happen also with new stylus also if this is well adjusted so i am sceptical about the needle been completely worn out.

What are your experiences ? Have you've experienced similar things with extreem dynamic passages at the inner grooves ?

How long is the LP side?  If the side runs more than 18 minutes, the distortion may be baked in.  

29 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

How long is the LP side?  If the side runs more than 18 minutes, the distortion may be baked in.  

27 minutes ... Is that often the case + 18 minutes ? But the music is super super dynamic to (Cesar Franck's Sonata for violin and piano)

I bet my stylus has +- 2000 hours on it. From what i read (different people) the playtime (nude diamond stylus) is between 1200 and 3000 hours (big difference !). I don't know. My records are clean and not worn i general.

30 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

27 minutes ... Is that often the case + 18 minutes ? But the music is super super dynamic to (Cesar Franck's Sonata for violin and piano)

I bet my stylus has +- 2000 hours on it. From what i read (different people) the playtime (nude diamond stylus) is between 1200 and 3000 hours (big difference !). I don't know. My records are clean and not worn i general.

If we are talking about a stereo LP, 27 minutes is really pushing it.  If by "super dynamic" you mean that there are some fff passages on the inner grooves, then yes, that could potentially be the pressing in general.

When stereo LPs were created, engineers found that the sound on a side degraded after the 18-minute mark.  The amount of degradation varied over the years based on a number of factors, but 27 minutes is definitely in the groove-cramming range.  

5 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

If we are talking about a stereo LP, 27 minutes is really pushing it.  If by "super dynamic" you mean that there are some fff passages on the inner grooves, then yes, that could potentially be the pressing in general.

When stereo LPs were created, engineers found that the sound on a side degraded after the 18-minute mark.  The amount of degradation varied over the years based on a number of factors, but 27 minutes is definitely in the groove-cramming range.  

thank you for the usefull information... what do you consider a normal lifeime for a nude diamond stylus (correctly used) ?