What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

Jeez. I knew it was a lot, but not that many!

I do like me some Schubert lieder but have always been intimidated by where to make serious start. I end up getting a Fischer-Dieskau record here and there, but that the way of a dabbler... which I suppose is what i

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, JSngry said:

Jeez. I knew it was a lot, but not that many!

I do like me some Schubert lieder but have always been intimidated by where to make serious start. I end up getting a Fischer-Dieskau record here and there, but that the way of a dabbler... which I suppose is what i

DFD's approach -- like he's giving a lecture, with a pointer in hand and lots of underllined emphases -- is deplored by some, influential though he has been. You might want to try Aksel Schotz, Gerhard Husch, or Julius Patzak.

22 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Was Danish composer Rued Langgarrd (1893-1952), as someone once asked, crazy good or just crazy? After listening yesterday to to all 64:05 minutes of this obsessed with Theosophy multipart work for soloists chorus and orchestra, I vote for both.

Larry,

If you've not already heard it, you might want to check out Rozhdestvensky's recording of Langgaard's Music of the Spheres.  It's terrific.

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

I once read an interview with György Ligeti.  The interviewer played this record for Ligeti, who had never heard Langgaard's music before.  Afterwards, Ligeti said, "Langgaard's composition anticipates my music!"  (Or something to that effect.)  Ligeti was very impressed.

And please forgive me if I'm repeating myself.  I may have shared that little anecdote before.  ;)

Edited by HutchFan

On 6/4/2022 at 5:35 PM, JSngry said:

I'm not at all an expert, just a listener.  But I'd recommend jumping in the pool and splashing about.  Your ears will tell where to go. 

I try not to get caught up in understanding the words -- at least at first -- because my understanding of German is sketchy, at best.  I just try to absorb the music, the stuff beyond language.  Afterwards, I usually circle back around to translations of the lyrics, and that offers another sort of meaning. ... At least that's how I make sense of them -- definitely the music first, then the words.

I've discovered that I tend to be drawn more to female lieder singers -- performers like Janet Baker, Elly AmelingBrigitte Fassbaender, and Margaret Price.  The color and heft of each of their voices are very different, so each of them will be more or less suited for different types of songs: heavy/tragic, lyrical/pastoral, romantic, or whatever.  ... One male singer recommendation -- for all German lieder, not just Schubert's: Hans Hotter.  An amazing voice.

Next up for me, prompted by this Schubert talk:

51uxNQYdv9L._AC_.jpg

Another excellent entry in Hyperion's series.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Larry,

If you've not already heard it, you might want to check out Rozhdestvensky's recording of Langgaard's Music of the Spheres.  It's terrific.

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

I once read an interview with György Ligeti.  The interviewer played this record for Ligeti, who had never heard Langgaard's music before.  Afterwards, Ligeti said, "Langgaard's composition anticipates my music!"  (Or something to that effect.)  Ligeti was very impressed.

And please forgive me if I'm repeating myself.  I may have shared that little anecdote before.  ;)

Got that one along with a fair amount of other Langgaard -- symphonies, violin sonatas, piano music, string quartets, plus a DVD of "AntiKrist" -- will  listen.

P.S. The work I posted about above is the first work of his that I really burrowed into and/or let burrow into me. Maybe I was just in the right mood. It broke over me like a wave.

7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I've discovered that I tend to be drawn more to female lieder singers -- performers like Janet Baker, Elly AmelingBrigitte Fassbaender, and Margaret Price.  The color and heft of each of their voices are very different, so each of them will be more or less suited for different types of songs: heavy/tragic, lyrical/pastoral, romantic, or whatever.  ...

I tend to agree, still there are some male Schubert gems out there.

Although I don`t appreciate Fischer-Diskau a lot, there is a 80`s recording with Alfred Brendel of "Schwanengesang" - he is in a rather desolte shape (his wife dies recently) and his broken voice is a perfect match for this Schubert song collection .... Matthias Goerne has an excellent Schubert Lied project on Harmonia Mundi with the crown jewel being the first release with Elisabeth Leonskaja (I`ve mentioned the disc here a couple of days ago) .... Werner Güra had an  outstanding "Schwanengesang" on Harmonia Mundi (feat. the impeccable pianism of Christoph Berner) .... and regarding the Hyperion Schubert Series, Matthias Goerne "Winterreise" and Peter Schreier are strongly recommended .....

7 hours ago, soulpope said:

I tend to agree, still there are some male Schubert gems out there.

Although I don`t appreciate Fischer-Diskau a lot, there is a 80`s recording with Alfred Brendel of "Schwanengesang" - he is in a rather desolte shape (his wife dies recently) and his broken voice is a perfect match for this Schubert song collection .... Matthias Goerne has an excellent Schubert Lied project on Harmonia Mundi with the crown jewel being the first release with Elisabeth Leonskaja (I`ve mentioned the disc here a couple of days ago) .... Werner Güra had an  outstanding "Schwanengesang" on Harmonia Mundi (feat. the impeccable pianism of Christoph Berner) .... and regarding the Hyperion Schubert Series, Matthias Goerne "Winterreise" and Peter Schreier are strongly recommended .....

I am going to investigate these.  Thank you, soulpope!  :tup