What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

1280x1280.jpg

That might be just what I'm looking for. My dad had a record of those instrumental opera snippets with things like Mascagni, Massenet and Leoncavallo on it. I think they were light music favourites on the radio in the 50s/60s. Never quite known how to get a record of such lollipops (as they were referred to over here by the cognoscenti) apart from one of those '100 Greatest Classical Music Love Themes' albums. 

51TVJBn6-qL._SY300_.jpg

I wuz wrong, Starthrower!

Really enjoyed 'Intimations' today. Maybe I was Finzi-ed out when I first bought it. He does work in a rather narrow emotional area - pining twilight. Though the 'scherzo' bit is almost jolly.

The nice thing about this thread is that it doesn't just introduce you to things you don't know but can send you back to things you think you do know but don't!  

get_image.php?image=CDA67545

From the Francophile end of inter-war British composing. No cows or gates.   

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Haydn -- Symphonies Nos. 103 "Drum Roll" and 104 "London"

Celibidache, Munich Philharmonic

71yUFP23iTL._SX425_.jpg

Wish I would have had the opportunity to experience Celibidache in performance. These sets are the next best thing (although he would disagree). It's a wonderful thing his heirs did in getting these released. A treasure trove, for sure. I splurged on all four sets a while ago and have yet to be anything but thrilled by all of it. It's curious, since so much of what he performed in Munich was recorded, he must have known the recordings would eventually be released, despite his opposition / indifference. Or maybe that's it, he was just indifferent. ... Sort of the anti-Karajan, in that regard. :rolleyes:

Jacqueline Du Pre -- Complete EMI Recordings

Disc 17. The final disc in this set is comprised of piano-cello duets largely leaning toward the introspective / melancholy / downright tearful by Paradis, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Faure, Bach, Saint-Saens, Falla and Britten. Perfect accompanyment for the dour, drizzly day we're having here today. Touching.

811hds7T6bL._SX425_.jpg