SME's Karyobin to be reissued in Japan

romualdo

22 minutes ago, romualdo said:

Looks like Karyobin is going to be released in Japan in March (a bit pricey - 2667 yen)

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-77702

Along with a handful of other unusualities including The Sun Is Coming Up. I didn't know Karyobin was owned by Universal. Maybe only in Japan?

Oh I get it - Island.

• 1 year later...

... and for your listening pleasure, without the need to place a second mortgage on your daughter's dollhouse, now available on the Emanem label, for the no-brainer price of $16.95.

"The 2nd SME record to be issued, a 1968 classic of free improvisation as the quintet of John Stevens, Evan Parker, Derek Bailey, Dave Holland, and Kenny Wheeler, the 1st SME to feature their new organisational method, here remastered with far superior sound and balance than previous issues, with new notes by Evan Parker, Dave Holland and Martin Davidson plus session photos."

SQUIDCO

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

My understanding is that the Japanese was a needle drop. I think I read this in the blurb from Emanem whose version comes with the co-operation of Evan Parker, which is good enough for me.

Good to know — thanks for that information! (But they took out Yoko Ono's doorbell sound? Noooo!)

• 3 years later...

THE SPONTANEOUS MUSIC ENSEMBLE | KARYŌBIN ARE THE IMAGINARY BIRDS SAID TO LIVE IN PARADISE | ISLAND RECORDS_HEXAGRAM | UK FIRST STEREO PRESSING ILPS_9079_60 LP

[IMG]
[IMG]

My first foray into Free Improvised (Jazz) Music. I knew almost all of the players before but mostly from collaborations with german musicians (Peter Brötzmann, Manfred Schoof). The music is highly inspirational and though completely improvised, doesn't need that much listening to get into. I can't get enough of Dennis Bailey's guitar and John Steven's cymbal work, the sounds they create are out of this world yet still make "sense" in their microcosm.

This album is finally available on CD again; the first digital reissue from the UK (from what I've read) didn't sound so good and was prohibitively expensive. The latest CD edition was remastered from the original master tapes and should sound better than any other version. This is a first UK pressing LP and the sound is very nice and detailed; my guess is it's unplayed or maybe once or twice at best. My favourite record dealer had it for some time but I had to prioritize other records before finally taking the plunge. Anyway, I am extremely glad to add this to my collection.

Edited by cds23