Mic Gillette Rest in Peace

Tim McG

I am so very saddened to learn of this. Mic Gillette was one of my trumpet playing heroes. Ever since being introduced to Tower of Power back in the early 70s I just marveled at his ability to play the trumpet and trombone interchangeably...and at various times during the same gig. I would watch in awe at concerts when he did this and so wished I could do the same.

Now...he's gone. Such a huge loss and I for one will miss his artistic talent.

Rest in Peace, Mic.

12509577_806594589486744_128655251118046

Mic Gillette last performance with Tower of Power

Edited by Tim McG

Moving this to Artists, and yes, RIP. That was a band...maybe you had to be there, I don't know, but I was, so I can't know any differently. At their peak, they defied the commercial and esthetic laws of popular music as much as anybody, and did it better than almost anybody, took it to such a high plane.

A truly awesome band with a tighter than tight horn section. I have seen these guys a dozen times. The last was at the Playboy Jazz Festival in June of 2015. Never tire of them

East Bay Grease, Bump City and the self-titled Tower of Power albums still stand out as my favorites. 

Mic of course worked with other bands as well, because of the high demand for his talent.  That music was a huge part of my life in those days, and it stands the test of time better than much of what I was listening to.  And I agree, Tim... those first three albums are hard to beat. 

I understand Mic was a child prodigy...reading music by age 4. Just amazing.

17 hours ago, Jim R said:

Mic of course worked with other bands as well, because of the high demand for his talent.  That music was a huge part of my life in those days, and it stands the test of time better than much of what I was listening to.  And I agree, Tim... those first three albums are hard to beat. 

If memory serves he played with Cold Blood for a time while on hiatus from ToP.

I'll never forget seeing ToP at a small jazz club in Fort Lauderdale.....Musicians Exchange (Dan Gould recalls it I bet). It was in the late 80's. "Doc" ("make 'em feel good") was wearing his hat by then. The groove was unbelievably infectious, everything in service to the groove. Anyone who was the least bit self conscious no longer was as the concert went on. The band and the audience just fed off each other. "What is hip today might become passé." Not, definitely not, ToP. If I'm lucky to make it to my 80's, when they prescribe a B-12 shot, it'll be that and ToP to get instantly energized.

And to Mic Gillette, not just for being a founder of a legendary group but for your commitment to the music by continuing to educate others and passing it on, thanks and RIP.