Claus Ogerman

fasstrack

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:40 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Wait'll ya hear this:

I wish Ogerman's arrangements on this album could be completely removed (like it was done with Wes Montgomery's Willow Weep For Me, brought back in its original quarter form on Smokin' at the Half Note re-issue), leaving just Joao Gilberto's voice and guitar.

On October 24, 2016 at 0:22 PM, mandrill said:

I wish Ogerman's arrangements on this album could be completely removed (like it was done with Wes Montgomery's Willow Weep For Me, brought back in its original quarter form on Smokin' at the Half Note re-issue), leaving just Joao Gilberto's voice and guitar.

Ogerman's arrangements are what make this album so great, as far as I am concerned.  

• 1 year later...
On 10/25/2016 at 11:54 AM, Teasing the Korean said:

Ogerman's arrangements are what make this album so great, as far as I am concerned.  

I have yet to meet an album with his arrangements that won't make me cringe. I'd call it "Straussiana" (reference to Johann, not Richard)- string laden, syrupy, emotionally lightweight sachertorte. His arrangement butchered many of potentially promising jazz-meet-bossa-nova albums back in the 60's. Or compare for instance two consecutive albums by Diana Krall- When I Look at your eyes (arranged by Jonny Mandel) and The Look of Love (arranged by Ogerman). Classy vs unbearable.

Well, apparently the dude is dead- so i'll let it rest at that.

18 hours ago, mandrill said:

I have yet to meet an album with his arrangements that won't make me cringe. I'd call it "Straussiana" (reference to Johann, not Richard)- string laden, syrupy, emotionally lightweight sachertorte. His arrangement butchered many of potentially promising jazz-meet-bossa-nova albums back in the 60's. Or compare for instance two consecutive albums by Diana Krall- When I Look at your eyes (arranged by Jonny Mandel) and The Look of Love (arranged by Ogerman). Classy vs unbearable.

Well, apparently the dude is dead- so i'll let it rest at that.

We simply disagree about Ogerman.  I love his arrangements.  I find them to be very tasteful and minimalist.  As for Diana Krall, I don't listen to her.  

My idea of a bad arranger is Buddy Bregman, who ruined at least two of Ella's Songbook albums.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

10 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

We simply disagree about Ogerman.  I love his arrangements.  I find them to be very tasteful and minimalist.  As for Diana Krall, I don't listen to her.  

My idea of a bad arranger is Buddy Bregman, who ruined at least two of Ella's Songbook albums.  

Don't know about "ruined", but Rodgers and Hart is my least favorite songbook, while Harold Arlen (arranged by Billy May) is the one i return to the most often, followed by Ellington.

17 hours ago, mandrill said:

Don't know about "ruined", but Rodgers and Hart is my least favorite songbook, while Harold Arlen (arranged by Billy May) is the one i return to the most often, followed by Ellington.

Rodgers and Hart and Cole Porter are both Bregman.  Harmonically, his charts are very square.  Considering all the great jazz and pop arrangers working at the time, it is astonishing that this guy got the gig.  I guess it helped being a blood relative of the label owner. ;)

• 1 year later...
On 11/23/2017 at 6:33 PM, mandrill said:

Did Evans and his trio run away by the time they got to this part? It sounds like they're nowhere to be found there.

http://www.bjbear71.com/Ogerman/Recordings-index-revised.html

I could only wish Gil Evans were that prolific.

It was the same thing with "Granadas" from the "Bill Evans Trio with Symphony Orchestra" album that Ogerman arranged. 

A friend of mine said he wanted to perform it with an orchestra, so I listened to it. It starts off with Evans playing it solo, then the orchestra plays a fast section, without Evans or the trio. Then the orchestra drops out, and the Evans trio improvises on Evans' changes, and they take it out.

How is that playing a piece with an orchestra?:lol: