Kamasi Washington: NYT Magazine profile

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it sits in the warehouse waiting for somebody to order it, as long as that customer is not ordering it through that store, where they are "not allowed" to get it?

Huh?

It's not that it's not carried in-store real time that surprises me, it's the corporate dictate that they cannot have it at all, ever, not even if.

Try something, Hot Ptah - go back to that store, ask again to order it, show them that it's on BNDOTCOM tell them that you'd like to pick it up there at the store, what can they do for you, etc. If they still tell you that they're not allowed to have it in their store, even if a customer specifically requests it, ask them WTF?

And then, for grins, ask yourself who ain't gonna be looking for any Kamasi Washington records or anything else at THIS place again, and then ask yourself why the B&N business model is probably quite alright with that.

32 minutes ago, JSngry said:

So it sits in the warehouse waiting for somebody to order it, as long as that customer is not ordering it through that store, where they are "not allowed" to get it?

Huh?

It's not that it's not carried in-store real time that surprises me, it's the corporate dictate that they cannot have it at all, ever, not even if.

Try something, Hot Ptah - go back to that store, ask again to order it, show them that it's on BNDOTCOM tell them that you'd like to pick it up there at the store, what can they do for you, etc. If they still tell you that they're not allowed to have it in their store, even if a customer specifically requests it, ask them WTF?

And then, for grins, ask yourself who ain't gonna be looking for any Kamasi Washington records or anything else at THIS place again, and then ask yourself why the B&N business model is probably quite alright with that.

You're probably making more of this than needs to be made.

Plano says they can order for me, but only to be shipped to my home. What if I wanted to pick it up at the store and buy some books while I'm there? Can't do it.

exact quote - "Is it a problem for you to have things delivered at home, sir?"

Well, I guess I should have asked is it a problem for you for nobody to come into your store anymore, how do you see that trending over the next 5-10 years, and your job security along with it?

But then - what if I wanted to order a copy of a Beatles CD that you didn't have in stock, could I get that sent to pick it up in the store.

Sure!

About paying in advance - Kamasi - you would have to pay in advance and it would have to come to your home. Beatles  -you could pay in advance if you want to, but you could also wait until it comes in to the store here.

Are most things like Kamasi or like the Beatles? Well, we can't really tell, there's no real reason for any of it that I can see, and I've worked here five years. But we can get you most things in here w/o you needing to prepay. (a contradictory answer, but I let it ride).

My take-away from this is that Barnes & Noble is not all that concerned with what music is in their brick-and-mortars as long as its targeted to a known-quatity customer, you can buy stuff there if you want to, and if not, they don't care even a little. This is not a place to buy music that's still blooming, if you will.

Their policy for special orders seems to be wholly arbitrary on the surface, but sure seems to me to be retro-driven, i.e. - if they know it's been popular before, it will probably get an ok. If they don't know about it at all or aren't "sure" about it, keep that strictly on line. Even if the customer would prefer to pay in advance, pick it up in-store and shop for additional items once there.

I can do this with underwear at JC Penney, but I can't do it with CDs at Barnes & Noble.

So as far as B&N being any kind of indicator about music except the most trailingest kind, and then of their more or less known demographic sets, forget about it. They're locked in for the duration, how ever much longer they will be, selling what they sell to the people they know they will sell it to. They're static in that sense, very static. And I guess they can keep on doing that for a while. But it's not where I'd go to look for anything outside of what's already there. Doesn't seem like that's what they're into doing.

As all of this pertains to Kamasi Washington, there is definitely something happening amongst certain peoples, but it's not happening in Barnes & Noble Brick & Mortar Land, neither this thing nor those people. Probably true of any number of other things as well...

Nothing nefarious about it. You target your product at who you want to buy it, and if you know who already has bought it, you know who you want to continue buying it.  If your strategy is to stand pat rather than broaden, then that's what you do. It works, at least until it doesn't, and it can work for a long, long time.

Hot Ptah is making the point that there is no concerted media blitz behind The Epic, and it appears to be true if we use Barnes & Noble as our model. Barnes & Noble just don't give a shit, not even half a shit, about selling Kamasi Washington (or "Kamasi Washington") right now. And Kamasi (and "Kamasi") seems to be doing just fine without them, so, win-win.

They stock ultra-obscure ECM issues but not The Epic?!? 

No way some of those odd ECM CDs sell one tenth whatever The Epic is selling

Paul Motion 5 CD ECM box was in stock when I bought it a couple of years back - was automatically replenished. 

Maybe the same box is still there!

Edited by Steve Reynolds

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

They stock ultra-obscure ECM issues but not The Epic?!? 

No way some of those odd ECM CDs sell one tenth whatever The Epic is selling

Paul Motion 5 CD ECM box was in stock when I bought it a couple of years back - was automatically replenished. 

Maybe the same box is still there!

Their main shopping centers are right up around your area, aren't they? Jazz is still a somewhat relevant scene in that small corner of the country, isn't it? Supply and demand. 

Then again, if those 25 people never visit Barnes & Noble, online or otherwise, or otherwise consider "Barnes & Noble" as little more than/nothing other than some name of some place that does....something in some buildings....someplace, Barnes & Noble is not really relevant to their conversation, correct?

This is how points get missed all the time, not just here, everywhere - by people assuming that all people that occupy the same territory live in the same world. It's just not true.

There are 3 B&N near me - one doesn't even have a music section.

the one in Paramus, NJ has a fairly large jazz section with the big blue note titles and a relatively deep selection of titles you would expect from Miles, Coltrane and Monk. Some recent issues like the last Steve Lehman disc and I think Dave Douglas or even Rudy Roylston. Nothing like criss cross, steeplechase, enja, AUM, clean feed, hat ART, okkadisk, etc. 

many new ECM discs, new blue notes, all kinds of Jarrett trio CDs on ECM, a few impulse twofers, Rashaan CDs, etc. 

the Clifton, NJ store not quite as much, the Livingston, NJ store near my work has hardly anything.

my favorite thing about the Paramus store is that I've snagged Dick's Picks 1, 4, 7, 12, 28 and 31 over the past year or two. Not cheap but they are rarely cheap anywhere.

24 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

the one in Paramus, NJ has a fairly large jazz section with the big blue note titles and a relatively deep selection of titles you would expect from Miles, Coltrane and Monk. Some recent issues like the last Steve Lehman disc and I think Dave Douglas or even Rudy Roylston. Nothing like criss cross, steeplechase, enja, AUM, clean feed, hat ART, okkadisk, etc. 

This sums up the one we have here in Sleepy Hollow, just a couple of hours from Kansas City. And the department is usually empty. My next door neighbor is a manager there and told me a year or so back that they rarely ever staff the register there anymore. 

CDs are a dinosaur. 

Well, this is a hoot - I just called the Los Angeles Barnes & Noble and got the exact same story about The Epic - they'll be happy to order it for you for home delivery, but there is no way in hell that they can order it for you to pick up in the store. Impossible. They'll get it for you and to you, just stay home while they do.

Call them yourselves!

Barnes & Noble

189 The Grove Drive Suite K 30, Los Angeles, CA 90036

(323) 525-0270

Open 9:00 AM - 11:00 PM

Right in the man's back yard and they ain't botherin'. If there's a market there, they don't appear to want in on it. And if there's not a market there, where are these people coming from?

Barnes & Noble so not relevant to any Kamasi Washington conversation going on to this point, unless it's the one about the man going to the forest and wondering where all the fish are.