Thad Jones/ Mel Lewis Orch. - All My Yesterdays

GA Russell

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/14/2016 at 5:33 AM, king ubu said:

Thanks a lot for this info! I have an unauthorized copy of the Grant somewhere :P

Got my Resonance deliveries on Friday (they arrived while I was on vacation last week) and gave this a spin already - it's effin' great!

Don't be surprised if you find that old Grant CD-R and it won't play anymore. My original copy died a long time ago. Luckily, I had it backed up.

I bought the Grant CD around the time it was issued. I had no idea that is was a boot nor that it was a CDR.( not sure I can always tell unless its very green in colour). I generally don't buy boots and certainly not CDRs (majority seem to deteriorate to unplayable in only a few years)

15 hours ago, Clunky said:

I bought the Grant CD around the time it was issued. I had no idea that is was a boot nor that it was a CDR.( not sure I can always tell unless its very green in colour). I generally don't buy boots and certainly not CDRs (majority seem to deteriorate to unplayable in only a few years)

I did not know it was a boot or a CD-R when I bought it either. I read that Grant was the emcee so I assumed he acquired rights to release that stuff. When it came in and I saw that it was a CD-R, I figured it was a boot.

I reviewed the Alan Grant release and had no idea it was a boot until the planning of the Resonance release was revealed. The packaging on Grant's CD was cheesy, with a number of photos of him with other musicians that had nothing to do with the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra, reeking of an ego trip, just like his annoying announcing for his Four Queens Jazz Night From Las Vegas radio series.

I got my Grant in an HMV sale when those were worth skipping a morning at work. I don't think it's a CD-R, and it was an unlikely boot, given that it was published by BMG (their New Zealand division all right, but still).

As Ken said, a bit of an ego-trip by Grant, that one.

F

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

Great stuff, gotta get to disc 2 but disc 1 is fantastic!  My first journey with this band, surprisingly!

Don't end the journey w/o getting the two live Solid State records. After that, follow your heart, ears, whatever you use. But do get those if you like this.

11 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

Yeah...........  I just realized that oops.  Consummation is out as an SHM and I've seen the Blue Note "Live at the VV" reissue from Germany on ebay but its one of the famous copy controlled issues.

I don't know if your wallet would support such a purchase? I thought I would through this out there.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mosaic-MD5-151-The-Complete-Recordings-of-THAD-JONES-MEL-LEWIS-5-CD-JAZZ-LE-/381680666723?hash=item58ddf0c863:g:588AAOSwmtJXXv-5

Edited by Tom 1960

1 hour ago, Tom 1960 said:

I don't know if your wallet would support such a purchase? I thought I would through this out there.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mosaic-MD5-151-The-Complete-Recordings-of-THAD-JONES-MEL-LEWIS-5-CD-JAZZ-LE-/381680666723?hash=item58ddf0c863:g:588AAOSwmtJXXv-5

It wouldn't be worth it for me as I have on CD four of the five LPs contained in the Mosaic set.

• 2 years later...
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:22 AM, alankin said:

Has Monday Night, Recorded Live at the Village Vanguard ever been released on CD outside of the Mosaic box?

An old question, but I'm wondering this too.

Cursory glance at Discogs says "no" -- is that right?

https://www.discogs.com/Thad-Jones-Mel-Lewis-Jazz-Orchestra-Monday-Night/release/3224759

Edited by Rooster_Ties

34 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Where'd they get that cover for Central Park North?

Of all the 14 versions on Discogs (in every format), this seems to be the only one with that cover (released in the UK in 1969):

https://www.discogs.com/Thad-Jones-Mel-Lewis-Jazz-Orchestra-Central-Park-North/release/4641509

R-4641509-1389540912-5670.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Rooster_Ties