GA Russell

Thad Jones/ Mel Lewis Orch. - All My Yesterdays

59 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, felser said:

Just got released on a nice BGO twofer.  Love that company!

BGOCD1348T-larger.jpg

BGO’s sonics are invariably great. Just been listening to their release of Rendell/Carr Quintet ‘Change Is’. Outstanding - probably even surpasses the original vinyl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well then, at least it happened. I though maybe they had just whoofled one up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Of all the 14 versions on Discogs (in every format), this seems to be the only one with that cover (released in the UK in 1969):

https://www.discogs.com/Thad-Jones-Mel-Lewis-Jazz-Orchestra-Central-Park-North/release/4641509

R-4641509-1389540912-5670.jpeg.jpg

BGO is a UK company.

59 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Well then, at least it happened. I though maybe they had just whoofled one up.

It got delayed a month (common occurrence with BGO), but did finally come out (they always do from BGO).  Haven't ordered mine yet, but expect to do so soon.  Available from several reputable sellers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But BGO has such foogly layout ... quite a threshold for me (except for stuff hardly possible to get in other forms ... Carr/Rendell, Graham Collier ... most recently Arthur Blythe).

I've got - and love - the Mosaic, guess I will stick with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, king ubu said:

But BGO has such foogly layout ... quite a threshold for me (except for stuff hardly possible to get in other forms ... Carr/Rendell, Graham Collier ... most recently Arthur Blythe).

I've got - and love - the Mosaic, guess I will stick with that. 

I don't love some of their layouts either, but the sound quality is fantastic (clearly better than Mosaic to my ears, though YMMV on the "loudness" wars), the sets are legit and the price is about $6-7 per CD for me (I often get 3-4 albums on a 2CD set for about $13) compared to the $18 or so per disc that new Mosaics have been (and OOP's can be more).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to pick up those Don Ellis disks on BGO. I have them on vinyl and also a couple on ‘Wounded Bird’ but undoubtedly the BGOs will be better. Ditto the Ian Carr ‘Nucleus’ that I don’t have.

They did a wonderful job with the Rendell/Carr, Graham Collier and Mike Westbrook releases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I need to pick up those Don Ellis disks on BGO. I have them on vinyl and also a couple on ‘Wounded Bird’ but undoubtedly the BGOs will be better. Ditto the Ian Carr ‘Nucleus’ that I don’t have.

They did a wonderful job with the Rendell/Carr, Graham Collier and Mike Westbrook releases.

The BGO Don Ellis CD's sound fabulous, way better than the Wounded Bird releases in the cases where I bought both over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, felser said:

The BGO Don Ellis CD's sound fabulous, way better than the Wounded Bird releases in the cases where I bought both over the years.

That's good news - I skipped the Wounded Bird CDs as I have all the Don Ellis Columbia LPs. Will get the BGO CDs soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is there a deeper connection between Jones-Lewis band + Duke Pearson band.  or is it just that they share a lot of members because that was who was around nyc to do that sort of thing at the time.  or is there a deeper connection i am missing, eg. duke was in the band etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.