Thad Jones/ Mel Lewis Orch. - All My Yesterdays

GA Russell

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Of all the 14 versions on Discogs (in every format), this seems to be the only one with that cover (released in the UK in 1969):

https://www.discogs.com/Thad-Jones-Mel-Lewis-Jazz-Orchestra-Central-Park-North/release/4641509

R-4641509-1389540912-5670.jpeg.jpg

BGO is a UK company.

59 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Well then, at least it happened. I though maybe they had just whoofled one up.

It got delayed a month (common occurrence with BGO), but did finally come out (they always do from BGO).  Haven't ordered mine yet, but expect to do so soon.  Available from several reputable sellers.

1 hour ago, king ubu said:

But BGO has such foogly layout ... quite a threshold for me (except for stuff hardly possible to get in other forms ... Carr/Rendell, Graham Collier ... most recently Arthur Blythe).

I've got - and love - the Mosaic, guess I will stick with that. 

I don't love some of their layouts either, but the sound quality is fantastic (clearly better than Mosaic to my ears, though YMMV on the "loudness" wars), the sets are legit and the price is about $6-7 per CD for me (I often get 3-4 albums on a 2CD set for about $13) compared to the $18 or so per disc that new Mosaics have been (and OOP's can be more).

I need to pick up those Don Ellis disks on BGO. I have them on vinyl and also a couple on ‘Wounded Bird’ but undoubtedly the BGOs will be better. Ditto the Ian Carr ‘Nucleus’ that I don’t have.

They did a wonderful job with the Rendell/Carr, Graham Collier and Mike Westbrook releases.

8 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I need to pick up those Don Ellis disks on BGO. I have them on vinyl and also a couple on ‘Wounded Bird’ but undoubtedly the BGOs will be better. Ditto the Ian Carr ‘Nucleus’ that I don’t have.

They did a wonderful job with the Rendell/Carr, Graham Collier and Mike Westbrook releases.

The BGO Don Ellis CD's sound fabulous, way better than the Wounded Bird releases in the cases where I bought both over the years.

20 hours ago, felser said:

The BGO Don Ellis CD's sound fabulous, way better than the Wounded Bird releases in the cases where I bought both over the years.

That's good news - I skipped the Wounded Bird CDs as I have all the Don Ellis Columbia LPs. Will get the BGO CDs soon.