• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 years later...
On 2/15/2016 at 9:54 AM, Dmitry said:

22 minutes per side, I think, is a maximum that can be pressed on it, to keep it sounding ok.

Mono LPs could accommodate much more than 22 minutes without losing fidelity.  I mean the older mono LPs that were cut differently.

When stereo LPs became a thing, researchers determined that fidelity started to be compromised over the 18-minute mark.  This is in part why there were many LPs with sides in the 16- to 18-minute length.  Obviously, jazz and classical presented problems, though it is fascinating that Stravinksy predicted the stereo LP dividing "The Rite of Spring" into two 17-minute segments. 

55 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

As a typical classical orchestral work would often have quieter passages/movements, a classical LP side could usually accommodate more than the 20-ish minutes of pop/jazz/whatever without the same apparent loss of fidelity. 

True, but you may get some inner-groove distortion on the finale.

https://www.discogs.com/Don-Ellis-And-His-Orchestra-Autumn/release/2195857

almost hitting 30 min/side...inner groove distortion irrelevant for music already full of intentional distortions...that and it being loud as fuckCD reissue still very welcome, just for not having to turn the record over...a lot can happen in 30 minutes, right?

As a kid, I loved the fact that the US Beatles albums all clocked in at under 30 minutes.  You could play one side in 15 minutes.  Those albums were a great way to fill time if you had a half hour to kill between Casper the Friendly Ghost and Dark Shadows.  

Sometimes, less is more.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Heiner Goebbels' Die Befreiung Des Prometheus clocks in at nearly 45 minutes on the first side of the LP.

Also, I remember how neat it was to have those Syntonic Research LPs ("Environments") with most of them
having 30 minutes exactly to a side (and some you could play at 16 rpm to get an hour per side).
Volume 3 had 34 and 37 minute tracks on one LP.

28 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

As a kid, I loved the fact that the US Beatles albums all clocked in at under 30 minutes.  You could play one side in 15 minutes.  Those albums were a great way to fill time if you had a half hour to kill between Casper the Friendly Ghost and Dark Shadows.  

Sometimes, less is more.

Up until Revolver, that is.

The UK release is longer; it contains three songs not found on the US version: I'm Only Sleeping, And Your Bird Can Sing and "Doctor Robert. The UK versions of Beatle albums (and Stones albums) are my preferred versions but if you grew up in the US, it’s the other way around. 

13 minutes ago, Brad said:

The UK versions of Beatle albums (and Stones albums) are my preferred versions but if you grew up in the US, it’s the other way around. 

I did, and it's not.

Peaches (RIP) was my first exposure to readily available imports of any kind, and the UK Revolver made a convert out of me, in a BIG hurry.

As for Stones, albums....who cares? They were a singles band for as long as that kind of thing mattered, imo, and then...it no longer mattered to me.

29 minutes ago, Brad said:

The UK release is longer; it contains three songs not found on the US version: I'm Only Sleeping, And Your Bird Can Sing and "Doctor Robert. The UK versions of Beatle albums (and Stones albums) are my preferred versions but if you grew up in the US, it’s the other way around. 

It's just pop music for children, not high art.  It doesn't matter what albums the songs are on. 

What mattered was being able to hear a side in 15 minutes or a whole album in a half hour.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

My answer wasn’t whether you liked the music or not — that’s up to each person — but that the UK versions of some groups groups’ were longer; Capitol in the case of the Beatles had a habit of dropping songs from the UK version. In some cases the longer versions are preferred; the Beatles in Mino used the UK versions, for example. 

2 hours ago, Brad said:

My answer wasn’t whether you liked the music or not — that’s up to each person — but that the UK versions of some groups groups’ were longer; Capitol in the case of the Beatles had a habit of dropping songs from the UK version. In some cases the longer versions are preferred; the Beatles in Mino used the UK versions, for example. 

Understood, but my impetus for mentioning the Fab Four in the first place was the brevity of the LP format and the advantages it brought.  I'm guessing that the UK versions did not conveniently fit into 15- and 30-minute timeframes correct?  Hence the "less is more" comment regarding the Capitol albums.