Santana IV

A Lark Ascending

Santana IV (CD)

Now the chances of this being at all interesting are not great given Santana's track record since the 70s, but maybe, just maybe....

https://www.spincds.com/s-n-a-c-k-benefit-kezar-stadium-sf-23rd-march-1975-cd-48089

"Santana will release their highly anticipated album Santana IV with the return of the band's original lineup. Carlos Santana (guitar, vocals), Gregg Rolie (keyboards, lead vocals), Neal Schon (guitar, vocals), Michael Carabello (percussion) and Michael Shrieve (drums) have come back together for the first time in 45 years to record what is, essentially, their follow-up to Santana, Abraxas and Santana III. All three of the original albums went two-times platinum while Abraxas achieved three-times."

I'd have preferred a follow up to 'Caravanserai' but I'm intrigued enough to watch for the reviews of this. Not sure what state his guitar playing is at these days. Just hope Cindy confiscates any synths, drum machines etc and sends any orchestras who turn up at the sessions home. The blurb (which is a hilarious bit of boosterism...though I didn't notice any reference to higher states of being, oneness or the like) promises 'swirling B3 organ hooks'.

Who knows! A few rock legends from the 70s have surprised us in late career.  

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Or it could end up being a Journey album (actually, I like the early Journey albums fine)?  Not sure about the concept of 70 year old rock and rollers, but I guess we'll see.  And it's got to be better than what they've been doing individually.  But I certainly don't expect anything approaching the power and majesty of early Santana.  All except Carabello were also on 'Caravanserai' (possibly my all-time favorite album by anybody), but since it isn't mentioned, that approach is probably off the table, which is probably a good thing given the  lateness of the hour.

15 minutes ago, BFrank said:

My friend ran into Michael Shrieve on an airplane the other day and talked to him about the album. Needless to say, he thinks it's good. I'm curious (with a dose of skepticism) about this as well.

Michael Shrieve also thought Automatic Man was good :(

7 hours ago, gvopedz said:

I'm still waiting for the 10 CD boxset of live Santana from 1970 through 1974

I'd pre-order that.  The guy I'd like to hear more of from the live recordings is Leon Patillo, who replaced both Leon Thomas and Richard Kermode.  Saw them at Atlantic City Racetrack opening for CSNY in 1974.  Wish their set had been released in a box rather than the CSNY set.   

One reason to be hopeful for the new release is that the  Abraxas Pool CD from 1997 is excellent. Rollie, Schon, Shrieve, Carabello, Jose Chepito Areas, and Alphonso Johnson.

4 hours ago, gvopedz said:

Santana should've invited vocalist Greg Walker - I am assuming that Walker can still sing like he did 35-40 years ago.

Or Alex Ligterwood, who definitely still can, based on the new live Oblivian Express.  But I would think/hope the vocals would belong to Rolie on this, provided he is still up to it.

18 hours ago, gvopedz said:

Santana should've invited vocalist Greg Walker - I am assuming that Walker can still sing like he did 35-40 years ago.

Great idea. I never liked Ligterwood's vocals very much and when I saw them side by side at an 80's Santana show, Walker blew him off the stage.

Greg Walker is a good singer for sure, but don't know that he would have fit on the first three Santana albums.  Much more M.O.R./Adult Contemporary group when Walker was with them, and I think he would have sounded way overly mannered with the original group.  

47 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Put it in a major key and it could almost(?) be a Beach Boys song. Otherwise...I'd like to pretend that it's 1970 all over again, but I don't have the car for that.

It's a good thing they made this now instead of then, though, because three of a kind was just right.

I got a car for that but even though I'll listen to the song on my phone or home computer, damn if I'm gonna waste my cranked up car listening time on 2015/16 Santana. I had a couple of the LPs as a teen and my interest waned by 20. My best pal loved the live/studio double LP with Europa but I was on to different stuff. 

fwiw, lately it's either been classic 69-74 live Dead or modern day intense improv (jazz or otherwise) played just about as loud and rich as the stereo will handle.

Track 3 of Andrew Drury's Content Provider lined up - I think you would like this pretty well, Jim. For me, *sounds* better than any Santana on my car stereo 

8 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

I haven't heard it - but to be fair, it's not like the lyrics on the original trilogy of Santana albums were un-trite.

Really?  Always thought "Jingo" and "Oye Como Va" were literary gems " ;)   It is sort of weird to hear 68 year old Gregg Rolie talking about partying down, but the thing SOUNDS good.  You're totally right of course, sound always was the point.  This one works fine for me.  Won't replace the first 5 years of their albums,  but I do want to hear it.