Jack DeJohnette

mrjazzman

I'm having trouble justifying why D.J. is #4 on my list of drummers  behind T. Williams, M. Roach and A. Blakey On which cd's will I find J. D's most bopish drumming as leader or sideman? Oops, I should have said #5 because I forgot E. Jones. I must be getting old.  LOL  paul secor, I'm afraid I would have to agree with that. I must have heard something years ago that put him in my group

Edited by mrjazzman

5 hours ago, jazzbo said:

It's his non-boppish drumming I most cherish, such as that on Miles Davis "Live/Evil." I would put him about four on my list as well, behind Williams, Jones and Clarke.

I agree.  He's a fine straight-ahead drummer, but his strength lies in various post-bop styles.  One of my favorites.

I would say he is likely in the top 5 drummers ever, and probably the best living drummer. However, to some extent I do factor in his skills as composer and band leader.

I'm never disappointed in DeJohnette.  So much good stuff, but two records that quickly come to mind are Special Edition  (with Blythe and Murray) and Parallel Realities (with Metheny and Hancock).

I have seen the following live: Elvin Jones, Max Roach, Louis Bellson, Art Blakey, Tony Williams, Jack DeJohnette, Paul Motian, Billy Higgins, Ed Blackwell, Andrew Cyrille. I would put Jack DeJohnette up there with any of them. He would be tied for #1 as far as I am concerned.

He is not a boppish drummer. That is not what he does.  I love his drumming on his albums Special Edition, New Directions, Untitled, Inflation Blues, and Album Album, and on McCoy Tyner's Super Trios, Timeless (with John Abercrombie), Pat Metheny's 80/81, and many more.

As great as Jack is, it is quite presumptuous to consider him the greatest living drummer, jazz or otherwise. I've seen at least 5 drummers over the last year or so that I would consider as great or greater to my ears as DeJohnette.

Seems to me so many hear really are not listening to what drummers are playing today. I know two weeks ago I again experienced Billy Mintz & Randy Peterson together in an awe-inspiring ensemble and I'm wondering if any of the above has listened to either of them. Two incredible musical  drummers who qualify as brilliant for vastly different reasons.

plus I haven't yet seen Louis Moholo-Moholo and he is still living and breathing. Again nothing against anyone, but have you listened to the legendary South African, Milestones? 

Obviously the rankings of ANYTHING as "best," "greatest" or 'whatever' is completely subjective. I rarely read or pay any attention to those lists for not other reason than I rarely agree with any of them. For that matter, my own personal 'best ofs' are constantly changing, anyway.

I love his powerful drumming on the live dates with Miles from 1969 on, and several other occasions.

But it´s my fault, I´m not an ECM - man, it´s not my kinda music. So I enjoy more his really powerful outputs, especially because he´s a non boppish drummer, I love bop, but very much the stuff beyond......

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I love his powerful drumming on the live dates with Miles from 1969 on, and several other occasions.

But it´s my fault, I´m not an ECM - man, it´s not my kinda music. So I enjoy more his really powerful outputs, especially because he´s a non boppish drummer, I love bop, but very much the stuff beyond......

Believe the initial "Special Edition" release in 1980 with Murray and Blythe is exczellent....

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Jack's ECM albums from "Untitled" through "Album Album" do not have the classic ECM sound to them. That was an era when ECM was releasing albums by the Art Ensemble of Chicago, Lester Bowie, and other artists far removed from its initial (and current) typical style.

The 1978-1982 dejohnette as-leader shows are quite excellent. He seems to have been a good/strong leader.

Usually with cello/bass (peter warren), alto sax (blythe or purcell), tenor sax/bass clarinet (chico freeman or david murray), sometimes guitar (abercrombie), and jack on drums and piano.

public theatre, nyc  3-18-78 

cambridge, ma  4-10-79 

chicago  4-6-80

baltimore  5-4-80

willisau, switz.  8-29-80

edmonton, alberta, can.  1980

santa monica  10-31-81

moers, ger.   5-30-82 

hamburg  6-4-82

ljubljana, yugoslavia  6-18-82

nurnberg, ger.    1982

Tunes usually played:

One for Eric

Zoot Suite

Central Park West

India (Coltrane)

Tin Can Alley

Pastel Rhapsody

Riff Raff

Edited by l p

34 minutes ago, l p said:

The 1978-1982 dejohnette as-leader shows are quite excellent. He seems to have been a good/strong leader.

Usually with cello/bass (peter warren), alto sax (blythe or purcell), tenor sax/bass clarinet (chico freeman or david murray), sometimes guitar (abercrombie), and jack on drums and piano.

public theatre, nyc  3-18-78 

cambridge, ma  4-10-79 

chicago  4-6-80

baltimore  5-4-80

willisau, switz.  8-29-80

edmonton, alberta, can.  1980

santa monica  10-31-81

moers, ger.   5-30-82 

hamburg  6-4-82

ljubljana, yugoslavia  6-18-82

nurnberg, ger.    1982

Tunes usually played:

One for Eric

Zoot Suite

Central Park West

India (Coltrane)

Tin Can Alley

Pastel Rhapsody

Riff Raff

I saw DeJohnette in concert in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in January, 1981. With Jack were John Purcell, Chico Freeman and Peter Warren. It was an outstanding concert.

He's been on many records I don't really get into, but it's never his fault that I don't. 

Also, thinking of him as an "ECM drummer" is maybe a little myopic. He's probably one of the least stylistically restricted drummers of our lifetimes. What that has to do with "greatness", hell if I know, but the cat can play anything with anybody and bring it, so I'll let it ride on that.

Saw Jack deJohnette live on at least three occasions - two were with different "Special Editions", which were great, one with Alex Foster and Abercrombie, where Jack really directed the band from the drumset, and another with Lester Bowie, who took center stage, and Jack let him take it. The ECM CDs are only a hint at what these bands were live, IMO.

The third I remember was a concert with Foday Musa Suso and Jerome Harris where he disappointed me as he played routine jazzy fusion licks instead of locking into Suso's tight African grooves.

I thought he was great with Miles and his own bands for ten years after that, but fell back into more routine playalong modes since then, which he does extremely well and all, but does no longer fascinate me. I learned a lot from listening to him, wouldn't count him among my favourite top ten drummers, but definitely among the top 50 all time influential jazz drummers. 

• 1 year later...