Running low / Last chance

Alfred

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tristano/Konitz/Marsh Set looks like a must have.

I wish mosaic had a few song samples on their site for this set, but the supporting cast looks pretty damn good.

i think i have only have one disc by these guys and that's a konitz disc.

ss1

Maybe you can listen to "Tristano/The New Tristano" (Rhino) or "Lee Konitz/Warne Marsh" (Atlantic Original Sound this side of the water) in some store?

However, the music is all great, in my opinion!

ubu

I really can't make up my mind about this. I had single CDs of the Tristano Capitol sessions with the Warne Marsh as a bonus, and the early Prestige sessions, and it didn't do very much after repeated listening. Tristano's abstractions get on my nerves after a while, and though I really do like Marsh, that particular date didn't get to me; same goes for Konitz' Verve trio sessions - considering all this I think I'll rather go for the Mobley.

Listen, everybody, there's no point ordering the Tristano set. It's just no good at all. Really. Terrible music all around, bad sound, lousy photos, the booklet sucks. Marsh? Konitz? Amateurs. You'd be much better advised to spend your money elsewhere. Trust me on this one.

- Tom (who won't be able to order his until April and is desperately hoping it won't sell out in the meanwhile)

Just received my Tristano, Konitz, Marsh. It's #4168.

I'm on Disc 3 already -- Great stuff!!!

Wait 'til you get to Disc 5...

That's my favorite. :D

Which session(s) are on disc 5? I've been meaning to buy this, by the way, but I have all of that music (save for only a handful of songs) on varying formats already. Can't seem to justify coughing up for the set just to have them all in one place and with like artwork.

Which session(s) are on disc 5?  I've been meaning to buy this, by the way, but I have all of that music (save for only a handful of songs) on varying formats already.  Can't seem to justify coughing up for the set just to have them all in one place and with like artwork.

*Lee Konitz (as, ts), Jimmy Rowles (piano), Leroy Vinnegar (bass), Shelly Manne (drums).

Capitol Studios, Los Angeles, December 20, 1956

*Same as above, except December 22, 1956.

*Lee Konitz (as), Don Ferrara (tp), Billy Bauer (guitar), Peter Ind (bass), Dick Scott (drums).

The Midway Lounge, Pittsburgh, mid-March, 1957

*Lee Konitz (as), Warne Marsh (ts), Sal Mosca (piano), Billy Bauer (guitar), Oscar Pettiford (bass), Kenny Clarke (drums).

Coastal Studios, New York City, June 14, 1955

I bought the Teddy Wilson about a month ago thinking it would be the next one on the running low list. Then, of course, the Tristano, Konitz, Marsh hits the list instead and I had to have that. So I finished the Teddy Wison and went straight into the T, K, M...

I'm OD'ing on these Mosaics!!! :wacko::blink::D:party::eye:

I love the Teddy Wison. It's swingin' piano, bass and drums at it's best. The best part for me, as a bassist, was the great range of bass players on the set. John Simmons, Aaron Bell, Al Lucas, Milt Hinton, Gene Ramey and Arvell Shaw are like the history of the bass. I don't have much with Arvell Shaw so that was a real treat. And then you have some fantastic drummers including Jo Jones. Whew!! There are a few sessions where the sound is slightly flawed, which has been discussed on the other thread, but overall I REALLY like this set. I think it will sadly go OOP soon too. Some say it's a lot of the same thing (piano trio) but that's just fine with me.

It was kinda weird going straight from the Wilson into the Tristano, Konitz, Marsh -- it was like going down several different paths in music!!!!! It was weird BUT GREAT!!! :excited:

Edited by JohnT

Just ordered the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh and the New Orleans sessions Mosaics.

Now they´re nearer to be in the "Last chance" list... :w

Congrats, EKE! You'll love them!

I cannot add much about the Wilson to what JohnT said. A fantastic set.

The only drawback for some (not too much for me) could be a relative sameness: it's all trio, and it's all Wilson - yet with the changing rhythm sections, and with the impeccable taste and ease of Wilson, this is not a big issue for me!

Btw: must have been quite a trip, jumping from Wilson to Tristano!

ubu

The Wilson got me hooked. I just love the hell out of that box. What I like best about it is that it captures him in such good sound (there are just too many bad Wilson releases out there) and that it shows Wilson's absolute mastery of the form (which has often been mistaken for "boring", "dinner music" etc ... IMHO because it is just so damn good that you could at times mistake it for that if you don't listen closely).

Wilson, I think, is a bit too underrated for what he has to offer, and people are too often blinded by technical flourishes Oscar Peterson, for example, is so known for (whom I like very much, by the way). Wilson was more restrained, a lot more lyrical and, I think, a lot more rooted in ("traditional") swing ... which this Mosaic set clearly demonstrates.

I just love it and it has been in constant rotation ever since I got it ... a lot more often than, f.ex., the Blue Mitchell (which is another stunning Mosaic set).

Cheers!

P.S.: If any piano fans (and lovers of piano trios) are reading this: how about if we get together and start a thread? I just wouldn't mind talking to some of you before (send me a PM) to see what we could do with such a thread. Some threads have a way of getting buried fast and getting unorganized and running off on tangents (which is not a bad thing, mind you, not at all) - this one, with a bit of planning, I would love to turn into sort of a permanent fixture).

Teddy Wilson is excellent on every track. Unfortunately (or fortunately) it is this consistency that perhaps gives the music the feeling of similarity throughout. To start off, I listened to 1/2 to 2/3s of each disc then return later in the day or the next to complete the remainder of the disc, repeating this with the other discs every 5 days or so. In this way I got to fully enjoy a dozen or so tunes each time and not feel that they were repetitive. Overall, a recommended set and this one is probably one of the candidates for the running low list.

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just finished Disc 5 of the Tristano, Konitz, Marsh -- just blew me away. What amazes me is how "modern" these guys sounded in the mid to late '50's. If I didn't know when these were recorded, I would have thought they were done just yesterday!!!! I'm definitely enjoying this set too!!

Now on to Disc 6... :party:

$96.00. Last Chance.

No song samples on the Mosaic site. I've read many very positive reviews of the Tristano/Konitz Mosaic.

What up? Should I purchase the Tristano/Konitz set before it goes OOP? Why can't I decide?

Edited by wesbed

I'm still trying to push myself over the edge, jump in, and purchase the Tristano/Konitz box. I find it difficult to purchase a Mosaic box that has too many alternate takes. The Tristano set, however, looks to have very few (if any) alternate takes.

Yes, yes... more ammunition to motivate me to purchase the box before it falls from the Mosaic site. B)

Edited by wesbed