Running low / Last chance

Alfred

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...but these guys overall don't excite me that much."

Bradski, you fascinate me. Tell me more. Tell me anything specific.

Your vague, uniformed riposte has given the deep-freeze to this thread

for the last 50 hours. If you don't understand Tristano and Konitz,

perhaps you're still young. And years from now, when you can truly

hear how Tristano and Konitz are dealing with musical space and playing

on the 'inside track', maybe you can cop this set for a grand.

Whatever Tristano you've already got has been rendered obsolete.

The tape transfers and CD mastering of Malcolm Addey are unsurpassed.

At some point, may you have the wisdom to hear and know.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I think it's an essential set of superb (and important) music. But I also know that the Tristano thing just never reaches some people, and it's not necessarily a "defect" on their part, if you know what I mean. Different strokes, etc...

Edited by JSngry

I have finally had a chance to check out the Reece and T/K/M sets.

I recently decided to stop buying cd's until I can listen to and absorb all this new music. I listened to the first two discs of the Reece set and parts of discs 1 and 6 of the Tristano sets. The Reece material (The only music I have hard from this is the Comin' On cd) is pleasant enough, which is to say that it's excellent, everything I think late 50's Hard Bop should be. This set is just flawless!!

As for the Tristano, I am kinda new to this kind of music, but I am learning a bunch about things that i was unfamiliar with until now. I guess I should say that I have always had this strange bias against, for the lack of a better word, white guys playing jazz. Not any more. The Trsitano live stuff on disk one is so dense, yet challenging that it was difficult for me to fully enjoy on first hearing. I love Konitz' tone, so thats not a problem, but Tristano's playing perplexes me. My lack of ability to describe how I feel about this in writing, well if you have the set, read Larry Kart's notes. I agree with everything he says...the parts I understand anyways ;). Anyways, I cruised up to the last disc to absorb more Marsh and Konitz and I can totally get behind what they are doing. The tonal complexities and the advanced harmonic structures bring the whole thing back towards the Reece/BN kinda thing I adore so much, yet brings something so much more fascinating to the table.

"...but these guys overall don't excite me that much."

Bradski, you fascinate me. Tell me more. Tell me anything specific.

Your vague, uniformed riposte has given the deep-freeze to this thread

for the last 50 hours. If you don't understand Tristano and Konitz,

perhaps you're still young. And years from now, when you can truly

hear how Tristano and Konitz are dealing with musical space and playing

on the 'inside track', maybe you can cop this set for a grand.

Whatever Tristano you've already got has been rendered obsolete.

The tape transfers and CD mastering of Malcolm Addey are unsurpassed.

At some point, may you have the wisdom to hear and know.

Bill,

You may be right in certain respects. Maybe I just don't get them yet. Unfortunately, my resources are limited and while I'd like to check them out, I just can't do it right now. BTW, you overestimate my ability to stop the presses on this thread.

If you are at all on the fence regarding the Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Sessions do not let this one pass you by! I bought this not really knowing what exactlky I would be hearing. I am on disc two now and this is some of the best music (previously unknown to me) that I have heard in a long time. I am loving every minute of these discs.

The TKM set is great, I have really been digging the first three discs so far but the Atlantic NO set wins first prize as my "pleasant surprise" of the year.

:tup

This will most definitely result in another purchase from Mosaic next month... B)

If you are at all on the fence regarding the Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Sessions do not let this one pass you by! I bought this not really knowing what exactlky I would be hearing. I am on disc two now and this is some of the best music (previously unknown to me) that I have heard in a long time. I am loving every minute of these discs.

I'm with John B on the New Orleans Jazz box. I'd never heard this style of music and it was quite a pleasant surprise for me. The playing is good and the quality of the sound exceptional.

The TKM set is great, I have really been digging the first three discs so far but the Atlantic NO set wins first prize as my "pleasant surprise" of the year.

:tup

Same here, only two months ago, already!

Get it while you can!

ubu

(and PLEEEEEZE stop buying the VeeJays! I need to have them but don't know yet how I can...)

(and PLEEEEEZE stop buying the VeeJays! I need to have them but don't know yet how I can...)

Ubu:

You are somewhat safe regarding the Vee Jays while the Mosaic web site is down. <_<

Hey, why is it down again? I had access on friday!?! (Or did I only have access because it was still saved on my computer?)

ubu