So I'm thinking about buying a new tv.

Dmitry

I use Harmony universal remotes. Pretty easy to set up and will generally be all you need once you configure the tv. Check the AV forums and look for your model for lots of tips for setting the picture but allow a couple hundred hours of play before finalizing settings.  

• 2 weeks later...

It's been almost 2 weeks with the new tv , and I must say it's awesome. I don't know what the LG blur would look like, and I'm sure the OLED looks much nice, but damn, this 4K tv is infinitely better than what we've had for almost a dozen years. 

I did buy the Harmony 650 remote, which was a breeze to program, but the elderly in-laws that are staying with us continue to use the 3 oem remotes, as opposed to one universal. So now we have 4 remotes instead of 3. 

The question I now have is how to fine tune the picture on this tv? It came pre-tuned from LG, but I'm sure there's a way to zero it in even better.

Ph, and nobody wants my old 42" plasma. Craigslist is teeming with old flat screens, which people almost give away. I haven't called the Salvation Army yet, not even sure they would take it.

Edited by Dmitry

• 1 year later...

I've been drooling over LG's OLED TVs for several years now and it looks like they've come a long way with regards to burn in. When they announced their new 2017 OLED line up, noticeably absent was 3D capability. Now I had to decide - did I want 3D OLED or not? Then things got easier. With the new 2017 OLED models coming soon, they started drastically discounting the 2016 3D-capable OLED models. Now where to get the funds...

Due to an unexpected windfall last month (thanks mom), I decided to buy the LG OLED 65E6p. Wow, what a beautiful picture! It's so lifelike. I am very happy with this TV. The only drawback I've seen is that the screen is very reflective so it might not be the best TV for a bright viewing area. But I have it down in my finished basement, or what the wife calls my "man cave", so I am OK. Best part about this set is that I've seen no burn-in (so far). Fingers crossed on this. I did see motion blur while watching football but found that all I had to do was turn off "Tru Motion" and it was gone.

BTW, if you don't need 3D but want to watch this in a bright room, go for the B6 model, which has the OLED panel mounted to a matte plastic screen as opposed to the E6 & G6 models, which have the OLED panel mounted to glass. The B6 and C6 (curved screen) are much cheaper with pretty much the same picture but lesser sound quality. I would have gone for one of these if they had 3D.

Next up, I am looking at an Oppo Digital UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Player. It's a truly universal player, capable of playing UHD, Blu-ray, 3D, DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD and CD. But that will have to wait for the funds to recover after this TV purchase. :)

Good for you, man! Sounds like an awesome tv set. I am certainly happy with our LG. Took our old 42" plazma to Salvation Army.

Re:Logitech Harmony universal remotes. I bought one, and it was easy to program, but this thing eats batteries for lunch. We have to feed it a duet of brand new AA batteries once a month.

Re:Oppo. A few months ago I bought an old [10 y.o., maybe even older] Oppo DV-981HD on CL, for $30 or $40, and I must say that it sounds remarkably good on both the cd and sacd formats. I don't see myself upgrading for a while. I imagine that the UDP-203 is a phenomenally-good machine.

Edited by Dmitry

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

Re:Oppo. A few months ago I bought an old [10 y.o., maybe even older] Oppo DV-981HD on CL, for $30 or $40, and I must say that it sounds remarkably good on both the cd and sacd formats. I don't see myself upgrading for a while. I imagine that the UDP-203 is a phenomenally-good machine.

I already have an Oppo BDP-80 and a BDP-103. Unfortunately, the BDP-80 doesn't play 3D. Oppo makes great decks.

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Kevin, just curious, what was your old tv?

The old TV that this LG OLED is replacing is an 11 year old 46" Mitsubishi 1080p LCD TV that has done very well by me. It's likely to move up into my daughter's room as a gaming monitor. I'm pretty amazed that it's lasted this long since they were notorious for power supply failures.

I still have my TC-58AX800U 58" Panasonic 4K LCD TV in the living room upstairs. I'm not giving that up. :)