BFT 143

NIS

I don't mean to step on the current blindfold test (I'm still listening) but I wanted to give warning that I am doing the Feb. edition.  I think there are some gimmes but also hopefully some things you haven't heard.  I will put the download  link (thank you very much Thom Keith) in the comment thread as has been recent practice.  Give it a try.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note to anyone arriving later to the game:  I've become very disenfranchised with web hosting service and I'm currently migrating my site to a new host.  This may, unfortunately, result in some difficulty with downloads and/or listening online.  I'll get it squared as soon as I am able, but a full migration really puts me at the mercy of both hosting services.  Apologies in advance. 

16 hours ago, tkeith said:

Just a quick note to anyone arriving later to the game:  I've become very disenfranchised with web hosting service and I'm currently migrating my site to a new host.  This may, unfortunately, result in some difficulty with downloads and/or listening online.  I'll get it squared as soon as I am able, but a full migration really puts me at the mercy of both hosting services.  Apologies in advance.

Thom, I am sending you a Private Message about this.

17 hours ago, tkeith said:

As long as you're up and running in mid-March when I'll be sending you the April BFT. ;)

Egad!  Just realized I never posted my responses!

Track 1 - Cooker right of the bat.  Don't care for the sound quality of the drums, but the track is burnin'.  Seems a tad towards commercial, but in a contemporary way, but works well.  Busy, a lot going on, but in a complementary manner.  Alright, I'm paying attention.  Sometimes the different directions annoy me; this, I am loving.  Got a touch of Ra to it, but it's newer than that.  Not sure how I could love this any more.  It taps into the feel of some of the cartoon music I grew up with (and that is a compliment).  All in.  No guess.  This, I need.

Track 2 - This was interesting, but I actually lost track of it and had switched to track 3 without knowing it.  Second listen:  Speaks to me much more.  Captures that New Orleans funeral dirge well.  Still no guess.

Track 3 - I like this but can't produce any solid guesses.  Bari reminds me a bit of John Surman, but I don't think that's who it is.  This is interesting, albeit abstract.  I like the way the abstraction keeps getting pulled back into short melodic bits (that sound a lot like Charlie Haden's band on Ballad of the Fallen).  I want to listen to this on the home setup instead of on the computer -- seems like there are a lot of layers to be contended with. 

Track 4 - Hmmm.  Sensing a bit of a them in the overall feel of much of this music, but this one isn't really resonating as strongly as the others (even track 2).  No guess.

Track 5 - Instant love.  Great sound, interesting playing.  Reminds me of something I have and I can't place it at the moment.  It's a combination of an older Stanley Clark thing, I think, and a Curtis Clark record (Dreams Deferred?).  It is neither of those things, but I like it in the same way.  Definite keeper.  The world needs more music like this.

Track 6 - Loved the bass intro, but this quickly lost me.  Seems to be being abstract for abstraction's sake, but I'm not really hearing the story.  

Track 7 - The sound of this recording is quite troubling to me.  This isn't really grabbing me.  It's too much of a tribute sound.  No guesses.

Track 8 - In the process of typing "sounds like Khan Jamal" when I realized it's from this.  KJ does cerebral well.  Very cool.

Track 9 - Obvious guess would be Sonny Blount, but I don't believe it's him.  If not, though, a nod of gratitude is owed.  Filthy bone.  I'm digging this in all phases.  Well, about 3:45, there's Moten Swing.  Wasn't sure if it was just a quote or they were really playing it.  See, they're playing this but it's not "tribute" music; they're PLAYING this.  Can't tell who the alto is.  Seems like someone I recognize (almost said Rob Brown), but the player is clearly more contemporary and putting his/her spin on this tune (the way you're SUPPOSED to!).  Tenor loves him some Johnny Griffin.  Has almost an island feel to it.  Very intrigued by this.  Another I think I need.

Track 10 - I'd call it Better Git It In Your Soul, but it's had so many titles we could get away with calling it Mingus Spiritual.  Unfortunately, for me, it's missing the spirit part.  Guy can play, but it's not rooted in the blues, and that's a prerequisite for Mingus.  Another recording I'm not enamored of (why so echoy?). 

Track 11 - You're teasing me.  I'm making a trip to Jamaica soon.  I'm diggin' this in spite of the stiffness (that's kind of the point).  About 1:20, a nice nod to Randy Weston.  Not sure who this is, but it works.

A lot of money will be leaving my pockets after this.  Man... I either have to cut this out or get a second job!