Jazz Record Mart for sale

uli

29 minutes ago, JSngry said:

That was quite the collection of facts and emotions, but did I miss the part where they actually came together into a salient point?

No, you didn't miss it. BTW, Koester frequently told me that it was Hefner's love of jazz that put the JRM over the top. And Hef was a fellow Chicagoan, too!

I assume you mean Playboy sold Cy Coleman albums, or was it JRM?

Ed Board Esq seems to think that white people didn't buy records by the likes of Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Andy Kirk, Count Basie, Chick Webb in the prewar period. Hm.

And WAS it white affluence that put the likes of Ramsey Lewis, Jimmy McGriff, Jimmy Smith, the Blackbyrds, Groove Holmes, Donald Byrd, Eddie Harris, Hugh Masekela, Bill Doggett, Willis Jackson, Jack McDuff etc etc on the charts? I suspect not. Jazz is a LOT more complicated than Mr Board thinks.

MG

35 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I assume you mean Playboy sold Cy Coleman albums, or was it JRM?

Ed Board Esq seems to think that white people didn't buy records by the likes of Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Andy Kirk, Count Basie, Chick Webb in the prewar period. Hm.

And WAS it white affluence that put the likes of Ramsey Lewis, Jimmy McGriff, Jimmy Smith, the Blackbyrds, Groove Holmes, Donald Byrd, Eddie Harris, Hugh Masekela, Bill Doggett, Willis Jackson, Jack McDuff etc etc on the charts? I suspect not. Jazz is a LOT more complicated than Mr Board thinks.

MG

I meant the JRM but only as a joke -- likewise with "Koester frequently told me that it was Hefner's love of jazz that put the JRM over the top." The JRM may never have had a Cy Coleman album in stock, while Coleman was an iconic Playboy figure, composer of the Playboy TV show theme.

15 hours ago, uli said:

Good article, I had no idea of all of the people involved in music who worked there.

I recently heard someone give a motto: Honor the past; live in the present; look to the future. I think that fits here. I'm sure that people in Chicago will miss the JRM, but everyone who's living has life to look forward to. That's important..