Dr. Lonnie Smith - Evolution

danasgoodstuff

10 hours ago, bertrand said:

Ordered it today.

From the same article: Aruan Ortiz, Rahsaan Carter and Kush Abadey were the best rhythm section Wallace Roney ever had. I loved that band.

Bertrand.

I'm not familiar with Carter or Abadey, but Aruán Ortiz has impressed me too.  I'm especially partial to this one:

71ZVv5FA4HL._SX300_.jpg

Mark Weinstein - Latin Jazz Underground (Zoho)

http://www.zohomusic.com/cds_detail.php?cds_id=134

Not sure if Bobby is or isn't playing these days. I last saw him scheduled to perform about a year ago at "The Addition" (the short-lived Yoshi's SF replacement), but it closed before that date. I know he's suffering from emphysema, and needs oxygen, but I haven't heard anything about him recently.

• 4 weeks later...

I changed the topic title to make it easier to find (assuming that the search engine works... :( )

I just picked this up today and I'm listening now. It's a great sounding recording, mastered by the one and only Ron McMaster. How could you not be a mastering engineer with that name? Nice playing by all involved. It's great to see Dr. Lonnie back on Blue Note.

Did anyone catch him on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon? He was playing a Hammond SK2 with The Roots. It was pretty damn cool.

49131-evolution.jpg

• 1 month later...

Got a copy today after ordering one on eBay, and on a first listen I really enjoy the recording a lot.  It's sort of everything that makes Dr. Lonnie so fun to listen to.  "African Suite" is a bit strange with it's use of synth samples but very effective and shows he still is exploring as a musician.  "In the Beginning" the previous recording, is almost up there for me with "Live at Club Mozambique", now Blue Note should sign Lou Donaldson and give him an album, yes we've heard his favorite sets to death live, but it'd be a nice gesture.