BFT 143 Discussion

NIS

Track 10

Well, I recognized this as Mingus's "Better Git it in Your Soul" and it sounds as if it's played by a solo soprano saxophone. Putting the tune into Spotify took me to an Italian outfit led by Roberto Ottaviano called Six Mobiles. This is from their album Mingus: Portrait in Six Colors. I do wish they hadn't declared war on rhythm sections, though. ^_^

Edited by BillF

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Well, I recognized this as Mingus's "Better Git it in Your Soul" and it sounds as if it's played by a solo soprano saxophone. Putting the tune into Spotify took me to an Italian outfit led by Roberto Ottaviano called Six Mobiles. This is from their album Mingus: Portrait in Six Colors. I do wish they hadn't declared war on rhythm sections, though. ^_^

Well, that didn't take long.  Actually, I thought this might have been one of the tougher IDs.  Roberto Ottaviano is one of my "new to me" obsessions of the last year or so.  

Hopefully you can find some rhythm sections you like on some of the other tracks.  Not all of coarse.

Challenging listen (in a GOOD way!).

Track 1 - Cooker right of the bat.  Don't care for the sound quality of the drums, but the track is burnin'.  Seems a tad towards commercial, but in a contemporary way, but works well.  Busy, a lot going on, but in a complementary manner.  Alright, I'm paying attention.  Sometimes the different directions annoy me; this, I am loving.  Got a touch of Ra to it, but it's newer than that.  Not sure how I could love this any more.  It taps into the feel of some of the cartoon music I grew up with (and that is a compliment).  All in.  No guess.  This, I need.

Track 2 - This was interesting, but I actually lost track of it and had switched to track 3 without knowing it.  Second listen:  Speaks to me much more.  Captures that New Orleans funeral dirge well.  Still no guess.

Track 3 - I like this but can't produce any solid guesses.  Bari reminds me a bit of John Surman, but I don't think that's who it is.  This is interesting, albeit abstract.  I like the way the abstraction keeps getting pulled back into short melodic bits (that sound a lot like Charlie Haden's band on Ballad of the Fallen).  I want to listen to this on the home setup instead of on the computer -- seems like there are a lot of layers to be contended with. 

Track 4 - Hmmm.  Sensing a bit of a them in the overall feel of much of this music, but this one isn't really resonating as strongly as the others (even track 2).  No guess.

Track 5 - Instant love.  Great sound, interesting playing.  Reminds me of something I have and I can't place it at the moment.  It's a combination of an older Stanley Clark thing, I think, and a Curtis Clark record (Dreams Deferred?).  It is neither of those things, but I like it in the same way.  Definite keeper.  The world needs more music like this.

Track 6 - Loved the bass intro, but this quickly lost me.  Seems to be being abstract for abstraction's sake, but I'm not really hearing the story.  

Track 7 - The sound of this recording is quite troubling to me.  This isn't really grabbing me.  It's too much of a tribute sound.  No guesses.

Track 8 - In the process of typing "sounds like Khan Jamal" when I realized it's from this:  KJ does cerebral well.  Very cool.

Track 9 - Obvious guess would be Sonny Blount, but I don't believe it's him.  If not, though, a nod of gratitude is owed.  Filthy bone.  I'm digging this in all phases.  Well, about 3:45, there's Moten Swing.  Wasn't sure if it was just a quote or they were really playing it.  See, they're playing this but it's not "tribute" music; they're PLAYING this.  Can't tell who the alto is.  Seems like someone I recognize (almost said Rob Brown), but the player is clearly more contemporary and putting his/her spin on this tune (the way you're SUPPOSED to!).  Tenor loves him some Johnny Griffin.  Has almost an island feel to it.  Very intrigued by this.  Another I think I need.

Track 10 - I'd call it Better Git It In Your Soul, but it's had so many titles we could get away with calling it Mingus Spiritual.  Unfortunately, for me, it's missing the spirit part.  Guy can play, but it's not rooted in the blues, and that's a prerequisite for Mingus.  Another recording I'm not enamored of (why so echoy?). 

Track 11 - You're teasing me.  I'm making a trip to Jamaica soon.  I'm diggin' this in spite of the stiffness (that's kind of the point).  About 1:20, a nice nod to Randy Weston.  Not sure who this is, but it works.

2 hours ago, tkeith said:

Challenging listen (in a GOOD way!).

Yea!

Track 1 - Cooker right of the bat.  Don't care for the sound quality of the drums, but the track is burnin'.  Seems a tad towards commercial, but in a contemporary way, but works well.  Busy, a lot going on, but in a complementary manner.  Alright, I'm paying attention.  Sometimes the different directions annoy me; this, I am loving.  Got a touch of Ra to it, but it's newer than that.  Not sure how I could love this any more.  It taps into the feel of some of the cartoon music I grew up with (and that is a compliment).  All in.  No guess.  This, I need.

I used this first because it was upbeat and because of the piano player, who gets most of the attention here and on the rest of the CD.  I like the old tunes used in a contemporary (using your word thanks) way. I'm a couple of decades older than you but I know exactly what you mean about cartoon music.  Some of my earliest brushes with music.

Track 2 - This was interesting, but I actually lost track of it and had switched to track 3 without knowing it.  Second listen:  Speaks to me much more.  Captures that New Orleans funeral dirge well.  Still no guess.

Again, one of the first places I heard music was church, Lutherans love their hymns.  I really like the bass and drum players, brothers.  Not much of a hint.

Track 3 - I like this but can't produce any solid guesses.  Bari reminds me a bit of John Surman, but I don't think that's who it is.  This is interesting, albeit abstract.  I like the way the abstraction keeps getting pulled back into short melodic bits (that sound a lot like Charlie Haden's band on Ballad of the Fallen).  I want to listen to this on the home setup instead of on the computer -- seems like there are a lot of layers to be contended with. 

I would have never made a connection to Ballad of the Fallen.  Guess what I am listening to this afternoon. Oh, not John Surman.

Track 4 - Hmmm.  Sensing a bit of a them in the overall feel of much of this music, but this one isn't really resonating as strongly as the others (even track 2).  No guess.

Another new to me obsession over the last year.  You can't like 'em all.

Track 5 - Instant love.  Great sound, interesting playing.  Reminds me of something I have and I can't place it at the moment.  It's a combination of an older Stanley Clark thing, I think, and a Curtis Clark record (Dreams Deferred?).  It is neither of those things, but I like it in the same way.  Definite keeper.  The world needs more music like this.

I don' know the Curtis Clark record.  Happy to hear the positive comments.

Track 6 - Loved the bass intro, but this quickly lost me.  Seems to be being abstract for abstraction's sake, but I'm not really hearing the story.  

I had to go abstract a little.      Plus for my ear this is really beautiful stuff.  

Track 7 - The sound of this recording is quite troubling to me.  This isn't really grabbing me.  It's too much of a tribute sound.  No guesses.

Track 8 - In the process of typing "sounds like Khan Jamal" when I realized it's from this:  KJ does cerebral well.  Very cool.

You of coarse are right all around with your comments here.

Track 9 - Obvious guess would be Sonny Blount, but I don't believe it's him.  If not, though, a nod of gratitude is owed.  Filthy bone.  I'm digging this in all phases.  Well, about 3:45, there's Moten Swing.  Wasn't sure if it was just a quote or they were really playing it.  See, they're playing this but it's not "tribute" music; they're PLAYING this.  Can't tell who the alto is.  Seems like someone I recognize (almost said Rob Brown), but the player is clearly more contemporary and putting his/her spin on this tune (the way you're SUPPOSED to!).  Tenor loves him some Johnny Griffin.  Has almost an island feel to it.  Very intrigued by this.  Another I think I need.

This maybe isn't my favorite CD by a very favorite group but there are parts, like this track, that are a pure joy.  Not Rob Brown.  The alto player is a real favorite musician for me.

Track 10 - I'd call it Better Git It In Your Soul, but it's had so many titles we could get away with calling it Mingus Spiritual.  Unfortunately, for me, it's missing the spirit part.  Guy can play, but it's not rooted in the blues, and that's a prerequisite for Mingus.  Another recording I'm not enamored of (why so echoy?). 

As you now know, this was IDed right off.

Track 11 - You're teasing me.  I'm making a trip to Jamaica soon.  I'm diggin' this in spite of the stiffness (that's kind of the point).  About 1:20, a nice nod to Randy Weston.  Not sure who this is, but it works.

I am jealous over a Jamaica trip.

Thanks for the listen and great comments and again for doing the heavy lifting with the download.

Edited by NIS

I know what Track 4 is. It is "AM Rag", by Dave Burrell, from his 1979 solo piano album on hat ART, "Windward Passages". I have always liked this album a great deal.

In 1980, I was visiting a friend who grew up in Washington, D.C. We saw a corner record store and went in. My friend has recently reminded me that it was Record and Tape Ltd.

In this shop was a large piece of cardboard, propped up near the cash register, with handwritten recommendations. I remember that the author really liked "Windward Passages", and wrote that "It is like Keith Jarrett solo piano, only better." . The rest of the cardboard piece was covered with unusually worded recommendations for other jazz albums. They were obviously written by someone very well informed. Cut out photos of Harley Davidson motorcycles were glued to this piece of cardboard too, at irregular places in and next to the recommendations.

My friend pointed out the author to me, a young man named Kristoff (the spelling could be off).  My friend said that Kristoff "had a following", of jazz lovers who came in to read his ever-changing cardboard recommendations and to buy what he recommended. My friend  mentioned that Kristoff was well-known by the city's jazz lovers for his love of his Harley Davidson motorcycle.

So that was my introduction to "Windward Passages."

On first listen to this BFT, it strikes me that Track 6 may contain the piano stylings of Paul Bley.

Edited by Hot Ptah

HP, nice story.  Of coarse, your Burrell ID is correct all around.  I really agree with Kristoff on this one.

Track is Paul Bley.  A last minute addition, I thought I needed a little brass and Mr. Bley had just passed.

12 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

Track 7 is Mercer Ellington's composition "Jumpin' Punkins" which was recorded by Duke Ellington and his orchestra in 1941. Duke's recording appears on the "Blanton/Webster" three CD set. 

However, I have not been able to figure out who is playing the song here on Track 7.

You know more about the tune than I do.

Track 6 is Paul Bley with Gary Peacock and Franz Koglmann from the "Annette" CD (Hat Art), all improvisations on (old) tunes by Annette Peacock. I think this one is "Cartoon".

"Annette" and its twin, Marilyn Crispell's "Nothing Ever Was, Anyway" (also Annette Peacock songs and Gary Peacock on bass) are two of my very favourite CD's. Heartbreakingly beautiful music.

1 hour ago, corto maltese said:

Track 6 is Paul Bley with Gary Peacock and Franz Koglmann from the "Annette" CD (Hat Art), all improvisations on (old) tunes by Annette Peacock. I think this one is "Cartoon".

"Annette" and its twin, Marilyn Crispell's "Nothing Ever Was, Anyway" (also Annette Peacock songs and Gary Peacock on bass) are two of my very favourite CD's. Heartbreakingly beautiful music.

You obviously know that your ID is correct.  Your opinion too.  : 0 )

I am a fan of Marilyn Crispell but I've never heard that CD.

Edited by NIS

40 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

Lovin' a BFT that loves bass!

Is the bassist the leader on 7, and did he also record the the tune as a sideman?  (these are electronically enhanced questions)

So, the bass player is the leader on track 7 and the electronically enhanced answer to the second question is yes also.

That is really interesting that Track 7 is "Jumpin' Punkins" by Buell N.

When I first got into jazz in the 1970s, and had less than 50 jazz albums and played each one repeatedly, some of my first listening was to Duke Ellington's early 1940s recordings. So I found the composition to be very familiar.

In the mid-1970s, not much earlier jazz had been released on vinyl. I heard the Duke Ellington early 1940s recordings on a local public radio program. I wrote to the host asking him how I could obtain those recordings. He wrote back with a nice letter and a list of import LPs that would include them. I then began a search and found some of them quickly.

Some random wild guesses on 3:  Roscoe Mitchell, Henry Threadgill, modern Mingus influenced units like Fight the Big Bull or Mostly Other People Do the Killing.  I would expect more solo space from an Anthony Braxton, Leo Smith or Evan Parker date.

On 1, anybody like any of the pianists from the Latin side of jazz, say Hilton Ruiz or Omar Sosa?

• 2 weeks later...
On Friday, February 05, 2016 at 6:26 AM, NIS said:

Oddly enough, the sad news about the closing of Jazz Record Mart in Chicago has allowed me to be able to identify Track 1. It is "Vipers Drag", the title cut from the 2015 album by Henry Butler and Steven Bernstein. That is Henry Butler on piano.

When I read that Jazz Record Mart was closing, I went to its website for a last look, and the employee recommendations were posted. One of the employees recommended "Vipers Drag", so I bought it and listened to it in the past few days. It is an excellent album overall.

Edited by Hot Ptah

3 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

Oddly enough, the sad news about the closing of Jazz Record Mart in Chicago has allowed me to be able to identify Track 1. It is "Vipers Drag", the title cut from the 2015 album by Henry Butler and Steven Bernstein. That is Henry Butler on piano.

When I read that Jazz Record Mart was closing, I went to its website for a last look, and the employee recommendations were posted. One of the employees recommended "Vipers Drag", so I bought it and listened to it in the past few days. It is an excellent album overall.

Funny timing.

Henry Butler is another "new to me" artist.  I saw him do a solo set last fall at the National Folk Festival.  Very eclectic style, you name it, it's in there.  Bottom line though, he can really play the piano.