BFT 143 Discussion

NIS

Late for the party, but enjoying it nonetheless. Some really good listening here.

I'll focus on the things that haven't been identified.

2  Time for another round of that classic BFT game, Bass or Cello? A cello on the left, a bass in the middle. Eventually it's "Just A Closer Walk With Thee." The clarinet is tasty too. The next question that comes to mind is, is this the real New Orleans or someone paying tribute? The clarinet and possibly the drums seem like the real thing. There are some serious classical chops on that cellist. The more I hear it the more I like it.

3  A little dry at first, but it warms up. That trombone off to the left, or is it a French horn, sure is good. The tune that starts about 3 minutes in is very nice, perhaps a folk or pop tune from a culture I know nothing about? I'm really liking this. Just the horn choir and drums? Is this perhaps a Mikiel Braam thing?

5  Bass or Cello? It's cello, really good cello. Then we get to the rest of the band. For some reason I'm thinking ECM. Nice arranging touches in there. I'm going to be looking for this record.

6  Like the bass, love the trumpet, really really love the piano. This one has grown on me enormously.

9 Hey, that's drumming sounds like Han Bennink. Hey, this sounds familiar. Especially that trombone and that alto. Heh heh heh. I'd be disappointed if you hadn't included something like this.  It's track 10 here.

11 The reggae groove feels good. The piano itself needs some work, but the pianist is fine.

Many thanks. More discs on the want list now!

3 hours ago, Spontooneous said:

Late for the party, but enjoying it nonetheless. Some really good listening here.

I'll focus on the things that haven't been identified.

Thanks for listening and for your comments.

2  Time for another round of that classic BFT game, Bass or Cello? A cello on the left, a bass in the middle. Eventually it's "Just A Closer Walk With Thee." The clarinet is tasty too. The next question that comes to mind is, is this the real New Orleans or someone paying tribute? The clarinet and possibly the drums seem like the real thing. There are some serious classical chops on that cellist. The more I hear it the more I like it.

So, according to the CD liner notes, the leader (cello) has great memories of New Orleans visits as a child.  This is the only New Orleansish track on the album though.  The drummer is from pretty far away from NO.  

3  A little dry at first, but it warms up. That trombone off to the left, or is it a French horn, sure is good. The tune that starts about 3 minutes in is very nice, perhaps a folk or pop tune from a culture I know nothing about? I'm really liking this. Just the horn choir and drums? Is this perhaps a Mikiel Braam thing?

Not Braam but your comments are pretty good.  It is a French horn and that is not always easy to tell.  Again, according to the liner notes, the album songs are traditional rhythms from Senegal combined with Senegalese classic pop music.  Four horns and drums, no bass.

5  Bass or Cello? It's cello, really good cello. Then we get to the rest of the band. For some reason I'm thinking ECM. Nice arranging touches in there. I'm going to be looking for this record.

Not ECM.  I first heard this on Spotify and got an MP3 download for this BFT.  I am still trying to get the CD myself.   

6  Like the bass, love the trumpet, really really love the piano. This one has grown on me enormously.

This has been ID'd as the Paul Bley, Franz Koglmann, Gary Peacock album "Annette" which I think as stated is beautiful music.

9 Hey, that's drumming sounds like Han Bennink. Hey, this sounds familiar. Especially that trombone and that alto. Heh heh heh. I'd be disappointed if you hadn't included something like this.  It's track 10 here.

Well, I would have been a little disappointed if you hadn't ID'd this one.  I think this track is a lot of fun but it is also some pretty serious musicianship.  

11 The reggae groove feels good. The piano itself needs some work, but the pianist is fine.

Many thanks. More discs on the want list now!

3 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

Oh I have the CD that Track 9 is on, but I could not place it! Time to pull that album out again!

I kind of expected you to ID this one.  Didn't you KC guys go up to Des Moines to see the ICP?