CDSOL-6701    Tommy Flanagan    The Magnificent [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6702    The Don Friedman Trio    Jazz Dancing [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6703    Al Haig    Ornithology [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6704    Frank Wess    The Flute Mastery Of Frank Wess [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6705    Derek Smith Trio    Love For Sale [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6706    Ronny Whyte Trio    Something Wonderful [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6707    Arnett Cobb    Funky Butt [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6708    Mal Waldron Trio    Mal 81 [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6709    Don Lamond & His Big Swing Band    Extraordinary [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6710    Jimmy Rowles & George Mraz    Music's The Only Thing That's On My Mind [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6711    Zoot Sims Quartet    Zoot At Ease [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6712    Mundell Lowe    California Guitar [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6713    Brooks Kerr - Paul Quinichette Quartet    Prevue [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6714    George Barnes Quartet    Swing, Guitars [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6715    Bill Watrous    Bone Straight Ahead [Limited Release]

Release Date April 27, 2016 | 1389yen

CDSOL-6716    J.R.Monterose     Lush Life [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6717    Hank Jones     Arigato [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6718    Sadik Hakim Trio     A Bit of Monk [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6719    Roland Hanna Trio     Time for the Dancers [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6720    Sonny Stitt     Meets Sadik Hakim [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6721    Billy Hart - Walter Bishop Jr.     The Trio [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6722    Ray Turner - Hank Jones     The legendary [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6723    Walter Norris Trio     Stepping on Cracks [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6724    Don Friedman     Invitation [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6725    Chuck Wayne     Travelling [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6726    Scott Hamilton     Swinging Young Scott [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6727    Bill Perkins     The Other Bill [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6728    Butch Miles     Miles and Miles of Swing [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6729    Ross Tompkins     L.A. After Dark [Limited Release]
CDSOL-6730    Hal Stein & Warren Fitzgerald Quintet     Hal Stein - Warren Fitzgerald Quintet, Feat. Bob Dorough [Limited Release]

Release Date December 07, 2016 | 1389yen

CDSOL-6731 Don Friedman Trio  The Don Friedman Trio [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6732 Don Friedman Trio  The Progressive [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6733 Lee Konitz Quintet  Figure & Spirit [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6734 Buddy DeFranco Quintet  Like Someone In Love [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6735 Derek Smith Trio  Bluesette [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6736 Derek Smith  My Favorite Things [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6737 Derek Smith Quartet  The Man I Love [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6738 Carol Sloane  Carol Sings [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6739 Arnett Cobb  Cobb Is Back [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6740 Scott Hamilton with Hank Jones & Tommy Flanagan  The Grand Appearance [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6741 Eddie Higgins Trio  By Request [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6742 Eddie Higgins  In Chicago [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6743 Harold Ashby  Presenting Harold Ashby [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6744 The Candoli Brothers  From The Top [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6745 Freddy Cole  The Cole Nobody Knows [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6746 Roland Hanna  This Must Be Love [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6747 Milt Buckner  With Illinois Jacquet & Buddy Tate [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6748 George Mraz Trio  Plucking And Bowing [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6749 Harry Allen  How Long Has This Been Going On? [Low-priced Reissue]
CDSOL-6750 Milt Hinton  Here Swings The Judge [Low-priced Reissue]

Edited by ruskaval
add

This one is solid: Jimmy Rowles & George Mraz - Music's The Only Thing That's On My Mind

I've listened to the Waldron recording on Spotify. It's good. But not nearly as good as I'd hoped it would be -- especially given the monster rhythm team (George Mraz & Al Foster). To my ears, it's not on the same level as the Enjas, Soul Notes, and Hats from around the same time. 

Maybe it's less interesting because all of the tunes are standards rather than Waldron's own (terrific) compositions? I dunno.

Edited by HutchFan

The only one in there that I'd need to be in on is the Arnette Cobb. I've yet to hear an Arnette Cobb record that I don't need to be in on.

Maybe the Don Lamond, depending on players, charts, etc. But Don Lamond carried some forceofnatureness with him too, so...I'm curious.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

The only one in there that I'd need to be in on is the Arnette Cobb. I've yet to hear an Arnette Cobb record that I don't need to be in on.

Maybe the Don Lamond, depending on players, charts, etc. But Don Lamond carried some forceofnatureness with him too, so...I'm curious.

Don't miss the other Arnett on Progressive - Arnett Cobb is back - #7037 - if they reissue that one, too.

I'll be getting 'Funky butt' in due course, when it comes out through Amazon UK.

MG

Well, 'Funky butt' has been out since 2014. Amazon UK (and certainly Amazon USA) have it on download for a good price. Includes 3 alt  takes. Will get it tomorrow.

Oh, here's the Amazon USA page

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OYG9W2I/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

$8.99 for DL, $10.25 for new ones from sellers. Go git, my lad!!!!

MG

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 3:58 PM, Dmitry said:

I was just playing Hank Jones - ARIGATO LP from 1976. It's a ok.

I thought Progressive had Japanese connections. The back cover of Arigato lists some Japanese names among the producers, if I'm remembering right, and had a Japanese style liner notes insert inside the jacket.

I think you're correct. There's a J.R. Monterose LP, Welcome Back, J.R.! (Progressive KUX 136G) which is credited on the back cover as a "cooperative project with Teichiku Records, Japan & Gus Statiras, Progressive Records, N.Y. USA".

I don't believe that this was ever issued in the U.S.

Well, I had a listen to 'Funky butt' yesterday afternoon.

The start of track 1 - 'Jumpin' at the Woodside' - just laid me OUT! OK, it's not laying you out music all the time, but it's Arnett performing at or a bit above his usual level. It's NOT dripping with funky rhythms, not even the title track. In truth, I didn't expect that of Arnett and wouldn't have liked it were it so. But funk does drip from everything nonetheless; but REAL funk. It's one of those albums I'm sorry I haven't been listening to for the last 35 years, more or less.

On a first listen, it's better, I think, than 'Arnett Cobb is back' (though I haven't played that since October '14). I hadn't realised that it was done AFTER 'Arnett Cobb is back', which was June '78. This one was done in January '80. Both feature Derek Smith (whose work I don't otherwise know) on piano but the newer one has Ray Drummond instead of George Mraz on bass, and Ronnie Bedford (another unknown to me) instead of Billy Hart on drums. Smith is a pretty good pianist, it seems to me.

Oh, there's no thumbs up emoticon any more. Oh well, take it as read.

MG

2 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Both feature Derek Smith (whose work I don't otherwise know) on piano but the newer one has Ray Drummond instead of George Mraz on bass, and Ronnie Bedford (another unknown to me) instead of Billy Hart on drums. Smith is a pretty good pianist, it seems to me.

He's from your neck of the woods. From memory, I think he played for tv studios in LA for many years. I had one of his trio cds, on Four Star Records iirc,..capable playing, left me underwhelmed.

Just my $.02.

Thanks, MG! (And I know, Jim and Mike, I know ... still, there's after all quite some funk and some butts around in this world, and funds and time are limited alas, so funky butt wants to know ;))

at MG: type : and then tup (no space in between), and the emoticon is still there: :tup

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

He's from your neck of the woods. From memory, I think he played for tv studios in LA for many years. I had one of his trio cds, on Four Star Records iirc,..capable playing, left me underwhelmed.

Just my $.02.

Not in L.A. He was in the Tonight Show band for seven years in NY after Doc Severinsen took over leadership but remained in NY to freelance when the show moved to L.A.

I heard him accompany The Copasetics over 30 years ago. The Copasetics were great - I remember Honi Coles, Chuck Green, and, iirc, "Cookie" Cook were among the dancers. Derek Smith was in an accompanying role, but he did play a solo or two, probably to give the dancers, who were not young men, a break. I assume that since The Copasetics were based in New York, that he was also based in New York at that time.

3 hours ago, king ubu said:

Thanks, MG! (And I know, Jim and Mike, I know ... still, there's after all quite some funk and some butts around in this world, and funds and time are limited alas, so funky butt wants to know ;))

at MG: type : and then tup (no space in between), and the emoticon is still there: :tup

Oh :tup

Just as it always was. Cheers Ubu.

MG

17 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Gus had a deal with Teichiku. I have a Japanese lp of KUX-13-G:

ryukyu_headbangers-img600x450-1434021575

I think I might have this record, or definitely saw it before.

Is it on Teichiku Records, or Progressive? Label looks just like the original PR labels.

Tangentially, Teichiku Records owned or was in some way affiliated with Baybridge Records, another Japanese label that reissued American albums in Japan around the early 1980s.